Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Suggestions for cuting board finish?

If these are being used as cutting boards in the kitchen where they
chop food directly on the surface, then
1. They should not have any "shiny finish" or any finish at all.
2. The local authorities will likely have a pescribed cleaning and
application requirment.

I think you should be safe buying the mineral oil mixture (with other
ingredients) from Boos company. They are one of the few companies with
the NFS certification which is required for wood surface materials
with direct food contact and their stuff is surely approved.

If they are cuttin board like counters, then spray them with anything
you've got.

On Oct 15, 1:12 pm, mac davis wrote:
I got a call from a friend with a restaurant today, asking if I could sand and
refinish his 2 cutting boards..

They're "several" inches thick and used to have "some shiny stuff" on them..lol

I'll look at them Friday night but thought I'd get some opinions here on what to
use for a coating/finish on 'em..

I e-did one in our house in the states using a commercial "cutting board
finish"but can't remember what it was, only that it had an evil lemon smell that
my wife hated.. lol

Any suggestions?

(I'm in Mexico, so if it works, that's fine, no EPA here)

Thanks,

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing