Posted to rec.woodworking
George George is offline

Default Suggestions for cuting board finish?

"Leon" wrote in message
t...
Is this to be for display and look pretty or will he be using it?
If you want it to look pretty, mineral oil works.

Disagree. Oil that won't cure catches dust, doghair, greasy dirty
fingerprints and food odors. Not to mention sheltering bacteria from your
detergent.

If he is going to use it, in a restaurant, it will not look nice and shiny
long at all. Better to resurface, sand and return it to him.

If he's going to use it in a restaraunt he'll conform with local health
regulations. We used to salt our tallow and lard-laden boards every night
back in the days.

I made a maple cutting board/block in 1969 in Jr. High shop class. To
this day my wife uses it every day and it is still just fine, no oil or
finish at all.
I did run it through the planer to flatten it back out about 3 years ago.

Bare is best, cured oil second.