Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.photography
Jeanette Guire Jeanette Guire is offline

Default Did I buy the worst two Nikon cameras (or are they all this bad?)

From: Jeanette Guire
Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.marketplace.digital,mi sc.consumers.frugal-living
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 22:50:33 -0700

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 16:51:09 -0400, Scott Schuckert wrote:

The battery doors are uniformly fragile on almost all digital cameras;
the Nikons you mention are perhaps a little bit worse than average. I
have experience with the 3100; with careful use it can be made to hold
up. But as you mention, the stupidity is that the door is not designed
to be easily replaced.

I found this wonderful thread while looking up how to fix my son's Nikon
Coolpix 3100 battery latch door camera body broken problem.

I latched onto the paperclip idea but nobody said which glue to use. I
bought Locktite superglue and Locktite epoxy but I think one or both of
those glues melted the camera body a bit. The camera body plastic is pitted
slightly and indented where the glue was wet but now has dried.

Does anyone know what the camera body plastic is made up of? The package
insert says not to use the Locktite Quick Set Epoxy on "polyethylene" or
"polypropylene".

Also, the articles didn't say WHAT SIZE drill bit to use so I used a #55
(0.052 inh) drill bit which seemed to work to drill the holes in the ribs
in the inside of the Nikon Coolpix camera body to hold the long legs of the
paperclip.

In addition, nobody said which dremel bit to use, and I munged up the
camera body by using one that was too large and unwieldy.

You can see a dozen step-by-step photos of my operation to recycle my son's
Nikon Coolpix 3100 camera at http://usera.imagecave.com/coolpixfixer/

Where can we put these instructions and photographs so that the next
thousand people with a Nikon Coolpix camera can fix it themselves?
http://usera.imagecave.com/coolpixfixer/

Not only did the prior articles (which were wonderful, mind you) not say
which dremel tool to use, which drill bit to use, which glue and epoxy to
use, but they also didn't say how to adjust the paperclip on the Nikon
Coolpix 2100 & 3100 camera body to fit the Nikon Coolpix battery latch
door.

I photographed a three-step description for the next hapless Nikon Coolpix
owner.

STEP 1
Pull the paperclip out of the Nikon Coolpix camera about a quarter inch
http://usera.imagecave.com/coolpixfi..._latch_007.gif

STEP 2
Gently close the Nikon Coolpix camera battery door on the paperclip
http://usera.imagecave.com/coolpixfi..._latch_008.gif

STEP 3
Open the camera battery door so the paperclip is now automatically adjusted
http://usera.imagecave.com/coolpixfi..._latch_009.gif

Even my glueing was a three-step process that wasn't described in the
otherwise wonderful notes on how to fix the Nikon Coolpix 2100 or Nikon
Coolpix 3100 camera battery latch.

STEP A
I drilled two 0.052 inch holes in the inside ribs of the Nikon Coolpix
camera body for the legs of the paperclip and I notched out two spots for
the paperclip in the edge of the camera body.
http://usera.imagecave.com/coolpixfi..._latch_004.gif

STEP B
I glued the paperclip in place with superglue on the Nikon Coolpix camera
http://usera.imagecave.com/coolpixfi..._latch_005.gif
http://usera.imagecave.com/coolpixfi..._latch_006.gif

STEP C
I added liberal amounts of epoxy for strength on the paperclip and Nikon
Coolpix 3100 camera body.
http://usera.imagecave.com/coolpixfi..._latch_010.gif
http://usera.imagecave.com/coolpixfi..._latch_011.gif

In the hopes of helping someone else with the Nikon Coolpix line of
cameras, what is the best way to post these photographs to help others?
http://usera.imagecave.com/coolpixfi..._latch_012.gif