Posted to alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower,uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default UK RICS report says solar takes 208 years to repay...nonsense!Help needed!

Eeyore wrote:

Jonathan wrote:

On 14 Oct, 17:04, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 15:31:33 UTC, Jonathan

And hey, 9 inconclusive statements in a 2 hour film looks a bit better
than 8 out of 8 entirely inaccurate and misleading figures in a report!

But a lot of them aren't inaccurate, are they? They represent reasonable
costs. Or, show me where you can get a good quality TRV installed for £9
all in.

Assuming a labour cost of £80 per hour, even a chimp could replace 4
valves an hour, allow an hour for drain-down, an hour for test, and an
hour for a fag and for a 10 rad house you have £100 for the valves+
£360 for the labour = £460. Tell me how you'd bump that up to £2,240?

We've already disproved the loft insulation and tank lagging costs,

Where did you disprove the loft insulation costs ?

I just looked at some loft insulation in one of the DIY stores. It's ~ £14 for a
4m roll of 200mm thick insulation, 370mm wide.
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/na...&isSearch=true

Calculating the celing area for my house, I'd need 5m x 8m for the main roof,
another 2.5m x 3m for the remainder of the L shaped bit, and about another 3m x
4m for a single storey extension. That's 59.5m2

Each roll is 1.48m2.

So that's 40 rolls. At £14 ea that's £560 !

And that's BEFORE labour !

I live in a small house, 3 bedrooms and it cost me less than £150-00 to
add an extra 4 inch of batten to the base and fill with another 4 inch
of insulation. The only stuff I bought from the sheds was the plastic
covered insulation that goes around the edges at the front and back of
the house, where I was liable to get bitten by the insulation.

Dave