Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default UK RICS report says solar takes 208 years to repay...nonsense! Help needed!

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 17:09:35 +0100, D Moodie wrote:

Jonathan wrote:
On 14 Oct, 10:41, Eeyore
wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

£755 for loft insulation?
I can certainly believe that one with today's health and safety requirements. Maybe £300 in materials
and £455 labour ?

Sorry, but not even close to a cigar! Ours was £150 for a complete
replacement. The figures are he
http://www.oxford.gov.uk/environment/insulation.cfm
For convenience, the figures a

250mm loft insulation where NONE at present
Installation: £210-230 (installer) From £170 (DIY)
Annual saving on fuel bills £80-100
Cost recovered : 2-3 years (installer) Around 2 years (DIY)

Yes, the ones quoted in the weekend papers tend to be out by about 150%
in a lot of cases, and in the case of central heating replacement don't
take into account that you may well be changing the system in any case.

However I find the figures quoted in the website you reference equally
misleading. Every item seems to have an asterix, but no corresponding
explaination.. I wonder if this is the cost after some sort of grant.

For example cavity wall insulation installed for £280..!!!! alternative
green sites even suggest this is closer to £500
http://www.greenconsumerguide.com/article89.html

They are suggesting that labour for installing loft installation will be
less than 100 quid, I find that suspect.

They suggest that diy underfloor installtion will be less than £100...

I'd really like to know where all their materials come from... that
would be genuinely useful information.

People can make these numbers come up with whatever they want... a bit
like those charlatan windmill salemen. For credible results, more
information is certialy required.. as you note..and you should never let
journalists free with this sort of stuff as they are incapable of any
sort of critical analysis.

But how about your own ethical figures for a solar thermal installation
what does that come out with? wild ass guess install 1500-2000, saving
75-100, payback potenially 20years.?

I had cavity wall insulation put into a three-bed semi about three years
ago (Manchester area) - cost was around two hundred and fifty quid.

SteveW