Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Smaller, less ugly outdoor electric outlet?

on 10/14/2007 11:06 AM Chris Shearer Cooper said the following:
Yeah, I thought about a patent, but (1) I've never gotten a patent before,
(2) I don't know the electrical code, and (3) I don't know how to get a
patent.

I'd be happy if somebody else would just make one for me (grin) but it might
also be an interesting introduction to the world of patents.

Suggestions on how to get started on something like that?

Thanks,
Chris

p.s. Yes, this is getting more off-topic as time goes on ...

Whatever you do, be sure to have a secure cover for the outlet, even if
hung upside down under a protective overhang. It's not only rain that
can get into the outlet, but insects and their nests. Wasps will like
that overhang, too.

"willshak" wrote in message

on 10/14/2007 9:38 AM Chris Shearer Cooper said the following:

Yup, getting all the necessary protection is a "gimme"!

I know that the outlet needs to be properly weatherized, but I'm not
convinced that the only way to do it is to have a big post with a
full-size double outlet and a gigantic clear plastic cover (although I
fully understand the design requirements that went into that kind of
design).

How about something like this ... a small (2" diameter) pipe (green,
probably plastic) and near the top, 3 short (6" long) pieces of the same
pipe "glued" around the main (support) pipe. Some nice round top to keep
the weather out. Each of those 3 short pieces of pipe hinges open, and
inside you see (1) an outlet at the top, facing _down_, and (2) some sort
of velcro or something so that the cord isn't held in the outlet solely
by the friction of the electrical connections.

Voila! Small, un-obtrusive, weatherproof. When nothing's plugged into
it, it looks like some strange green plastic mushroom.

Chris

Sounds good. Be sure to make plans and diagrams for a patent.

"Chris Shearer Cooper" wrote in message

I'm looking to run some electricity out into the garden (in a permanent
way), some outlets on a post where I can plug in Christmas lights, etc.
Problem is, the garden is not large, and most of the outdoor outlet
boxes I've seen are rather large and industrial-looking.

Has anyone seen any outdoor outlet boxes that are smaller and perhaps
greener (to blend in)?

Thanks,
Chris

--