Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Smaller, less ugly outdoor electric outlet?

on 10/14/2007 9:38 AM Chris Shearer Cooper said the following:
Yup, getting all the necessary protection is a "gimme"!

I know that the outlet needs to be properly weatherized, but I'm not
convinced that the only way to do it is to have a big post with a full-size
double outlet and a gigantic clear plastic cover (although I fully
understand the design requirements that went into that kind of design).

How about something like this ... a small (2" diameter) pipe (green,
probably plastic) and near the top, 3 short (6" long) pieces of the same
pipe "glued" around the main (support) pipe. Some nice round top to keep
the weather out. Each of those 3 short pieces of pipe hinges open, and
inside you see (1) an outlet at the top, facing _down_, and (2) some sort of
velcro or something so that the cord isn't held in the outlet solely by the
friction of the electrical connections.

Voila! Small, un-obtrusive, weatherproof. When nothing's plugged into it,
it looks like some strange green plastic mushroom.

Chris

Sounds good. Be sure to make plans and diagrams for a patent.

"Chris Shearer Cooper" wrote in message

I'm looking to run some electricity out into the garden (in a permanent
way), some outlets on a post where I can plug in Christmas lights, etc.
Problem is, the garden is not large, and most of the outdoor outlet boxes
I've seen are rather large and industrial-looking.

Has anyone seen any outdoor outlet boxes that are smaller and perhaps
greener (to blend in)?

Thanks,
Chris

--