Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace Problems - Blowing cold air - Please help

kjpro @ usenet.com wrote in message

Thermostat is in the proper position. The pilot is heating a
thermocouple
that says it is OK for the main gas valve to open. If the thermocouple
is
bad, the heat will not go on. It is a safety device to assure the gas
valve does not open with no way of igniting the gas. They are generally
cheap and can be found a good hardware stores and home centers.

Are you suggesting that his thermocouple is bad?

It is a possibility Although the thermocouple is supposed to keep the pilot
valve open, I've had it where the pilot would still light and the burner
would not get the signal to open. Fixed our heater at work.

There are other possibilities. Gas valve, limit switch. May also be a
solenoid sticking after sitting all summer. What do you suggest?