Posted to alt.home.repair
marson marson is offline

Default contract responsiblity question

On Oct 13, 12:16 pm, "Dave Bugg" wrote:
marson wrote:
Even if the contractor was only responsible for the framing, if he
framed it so it can't be ventilated, then he framed it incorrectly and
it should be fixed. Whether the engineer shares any liability is not
clear--did he provide construction drawings, or did he just size the
beam etc?

To whom and to what message are you replying? You need to include a bit of
said message.

As to contractor liability, it applies only if the contractor were acting as
the general contractor. If the homeowner were acting as such, then it is the
homeowner's responsibility to hire the appropriate trade to assure adequate
ventilation. That is why it is important to see the bid specifications sheet
and contract. I hesitate to take the word of someone when it is easy for
that person, whether purposeful or not, to paint only a partial picture of
the situation.

--
Davewww.davebbq.com

Time and again on this group you see advice about things like "bid
specification sheets" and "contracts". I would bet a bid
specification sheet doesn't exist. Lucky if there was a written
contract. Did a licensed architect draw the plans? Bet not. It
might even be ambiguous who exactly the GC is. This is small time
residential, not big city commercial. I've been a carpenter/
contractor for most of my adult life (I'm pushing 50) and the number
of bid specification sheets I've seen on small remodelling jobs like
the OP is describing is very, very small. Not saying it wouldn't be a
good idea, just saying that it rarely happens. I still say if the
contractor pulled the permit, he should be responsible for framing it
in such a way that the roof will meet code. Maybe that wouldn't stand
up in court, but that's the argument I'd use with the contractor.