Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default How'd you do this?

Yesterday, I had a backhoe in to complete the ripping out of caliche. A
front end loader with a box ripper wasn't getting it. So, now, we're down
about a foot from the top of the adjacent slab. This is an eight foot wide
sixty foot run.

I want to put pavers to continue out level with the flatwork next to the
house. This area is a catch basin during heavy rains. My intent is to fill
up starting with about 4" with gravel, put landscape cloth, then the brick
sand to grade, roll it flat, then a layer of pavers.

What size of gravel would you use? And what is the name of the dark sand
that is used as base for pavers?

I have a 10' x 2' x 18" deep trench at the low end of this to carry the
water out of the yard, and over a nearby cliff. I would use a perforated
pipe in that, set in gravel, and covered with landscape cloth except for the
top 6" or so.

Ideas? Comments?

Thanks in advance.

Steve