Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How'd you do this?

Yesterday, I had a backhoe in to complete the ripping out of caliche. A
front end loader with a box ripper wasn't getting it. So, now, we're down
about a foot from the top of the adjacent slab. This is an eight foot wide
sixty foot run.

I want to put pavers to continue out level with the flatwork next to the
house. This area is a catch basin during heavy rains. My intent is to fill
up starting with about 4" with gravel, put landscape cloth, then the brick
sand to grade, roll it flat, then a layer of pavers.

What size of gravel would you use? And what is the name of the dark sand
that is used as base for pavers?

I have a 10' x 2' x 18" deep trench at the low end of this to carry the
water out of the yard, and over a nearby cliff. I would use a perforated
pipe in that, set in gravel, and covered with landscape cloth except for the
top 6" or so.

Ideas? Comments?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yesterday, I had a backhoe in to complete the ripping out of caliche.
A front end loader with a box ripper wasn't getting it. So, now,
we're down about a foot from the top of the adjacent slab. This is an
eight foot wide sixty foot run.
Steve

caliche - what's that?

http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/...s/caliche.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Oct 2007 20:22:56 GMT, TD wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in
:

caliche - what's that?

You know; caliche!!!

Build a pool in the desert and it may add 20K to the bill, for caliche
removal.

Not work for the sick, lame or lazy.
--
Oren