Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Leaving a drill battery in charger

On 12 Oct, 21:54, Jim Yanik wrote:
wrote :

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 23:25:42 -0700, terry
wrote:

On Oct 5, 11:43 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:

I have one of those cordless drills that has a 24 volt battery. I
was wondering what would happen if I unplugged the charger from
the wall, and left the battery in it. Will the charger discharge
the battery if I dont pull it out of the charger?

Also, someone gave me an 18 volt drill that has the identical
looking battery, except the battery is an 18 volt, not a 24. That
drill did work when he gave it to me, but his charger died, and he
just bought a new drill. Can I plug that 18V battery in the 24V
charger or will I damage the battery? It does fit into the hole
on the charger. I dont think 6 volts is that much different, but
it may be for the battery.

GMU

Here's a thought: Call the manufacturer and give them the model
number of the charger and batteries. I'll bet they know the answer
to both questions.

Agree some models (Bosch for example) appear to use the same charger
for several voltage ranges. e.g. 13.8, 14 and 18 volt. But you can't
assume that and you could cook the the batteries or with certain types
overcharge them so they won't discharge properly. (memory effect).

I wish someone would come up with a universal charger that fits ALL of
those drill (and other tool) batteries, and has a switch to select the
voltage.

Why? where's the market for such a charger?
(Considering that most drills come with a charger)
If there's not a big enough market,there will not be any profit in making
one.

you would have to have adapters for each type,as bases,electric connections
and charge sensing will be different for each brand of battery.
That is going to add up to a considerable cost.

I got at least 5 different tools/batteries here, and several
dont have chargers. At the price of chargers, I'd rather just buy one
for all tools. Hopefully someone will eventually make one. It's too
bad that not all batteries were not initially made the same shape, not
to mention voltage. Of course the voltage seems to keep getting
higher, which means more power, but heavier batteries/tools. I'm
wondering what will happen when they get to 120volts. Will they also
plug in to a common outlet? (yeah, they will have to convert to DC).

That's why the change to Lithium-ion batteries;more energy at lower
weight,plus the no-self-discharge characteristic.
Also fewer cells to supply a desired voltage.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Hi Jim, nice to see you back.

Last week you and I were having a discussion about the use of the
Customer Service Reps vs. the manual and I don't recall see a response
to my last question to you. Allow me to ask it again...perhaps I
misunderstood the seemingly inconsistant comments you made in two
different posts. Here's what I posted on 10-6:

***** Begin Included Text *****

BTW here's something I find interesting...In one post you said:

- It also conserves the phone support resource for truly necessary
questions from deserving people.

Then in another post you agreed with the following sentiment, calling
it a "Good one!"

"I'll do all I can to keep from talking to those foreign tech
supporters who can't comprehend what I'm asking and don't have enough
english vocabulary to explain the answers I'm looking for."

So which is it? Are the CSR's a precious resource to be reserved for
truly deserving people or are they to be avoided because they can't
speak your native language? I don't believe you can have it both
ways.