Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leaving a drill battery in charger

I have one of those cordless drills that has a 24 volt battery. I was
wondering what would happen if I unplugged the charger from the wall,
and left the battery in it. Will the charger discharge the battery if
I dont pull it out of the charger?

Also, someone gave me an 18 volt drill that has the identical looking
battery, except the battery is an 18 volt, not a 24. That drill did
work when he gave it to me, but his charger died, and he just bought a
new drill. Can I plug that 18V battery in the 24V charger or will I
damage the battery? It does fit into the hole on the charger. I dont
think 6 volts is that much different, but it may be for the battery.

GMU
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 6:09 am, Paul Franklin
wrote:
On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 03:12:21 -0500, wrote:
I have one of those cordless drills that has a 24 volt battery. I was
wondering what would happen if I unplugged the charger from the wall,
and left the battery in it. Will the charger discharge the battery if
I dont pull it out of the charger?

Also, someone gave me an 18 volt drill that has the identical looking
battery, except the battery is an 18 volt, not a 24. That drill did
work when he gave it to me, but his charger died, and he just bought a
new drill. Can I plug that 18V battery in the 24V charger or will I
damage the battery? It does fit into the hole on the charger. I dont
think 6 volts is that much different, but it may be for the battery.

GMU

Remove the battery from the charger if you are going to unplug the
charger. Whether or not the charger will discharge the battery when
the charger is unplugged depends on its design, but why take the
chance?

Don't use a 24 volt charger on an 18 volt battery unless you want to
ruin it. Note that some chargers are designed to be able to charge
several different voltage batteries. But if it doesn't clearly state
on the label or in the instructions that it can do this, don't do it.

HTH,

Paul F.

Old chargers or chargers that dont measure the limit of the battery
ruin batteries by slowly cooking them. Most all chargers now made
measure the peak voltage of a battery my monitoring just when the
volts drop or temp rise, I guess shuttng off at a certain temp. If the
charger measures temperature it should work, if it measures a voltage
drop other than 24 it should work, if it goes by 24+ v it wont.
[Actualy it might be near 28v ] My new 12v Ridgid charger does 9.6.12
and 18v . If you know the + and - leads and hooked up a digital V
meter to it while the battery was charging and measured the charge you
could see if its ok by what happens. The 18v should peak higher than
18v [near 20v] and the point at which the voltage actualy starts to
drop, indicates full charge, that is also the point at which battery
temp rises. At full charge you must stop or the battery cooks itself
by converting the energy into a mechanical energy, raising its temp.
You can use a higher v to charge, you just have to know when to stop.
A 1.2v nicad is fully charged at maybe 1.36v. So if the 18v is 15 cell
you need more than 20v to charge it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:
I have one of those cordless drills that has a 24 volt battery. I was
wondering what would happen if I unplugged the charger from the wall,
and left the battery in it. Will the charger discharge the battery if
I dont pull it out of the charger?

Also, someone gave me an 18 volt drill that has the identical looking
battery, except the battery is an 18 volt, not a 24. That drill did
work when he gave it to me, but his charger died, and he just bought a
new drill. Can I plug that 18V battery in the 24V charger or will I
damage the battery? It does fit into the hole on the charger. I dont
think 6 volts is that much different, but it may be for the battery.

GMU

Here's a thought: Call the manufacturer and give them the model number
of the charger and batteries. I'll bet they know the answer to both
questions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
ups.com:

On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:
I have one of those cordless drills that has a 24 volt battery. I was
wondering what would happen if I unplugged the charger from the wall,
and left the battery in it. Will the charger discharge the battery if
I dont pull it out of the charger?

Also, someone gave me an 18 volt drill that has the identical looking
battery, except the battery is an 18 volt, not a 24. That drill did
work when he gave it to me, but his charger died, and he just bought a
new drill. Can I plug that 18V battery in the 24V charger or will I
damage the battery? It does fit into the hole on the charger. I dont
think 6 volts is that much different, but it may be for the battery.

GMU

Here's a thought: Call the manufacturer and give them the model number
of the charger and batteries. I'll bet they know the answer to both
questions.

they might even have the manuals online. RTFM.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 9:50 am, Jim Yanik wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote roups.com:

On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:
[...]

kua.net- Hide quoted text -

A question like that might get you nowhere as phone reps are directed
to sell products, tech support or a repair facility might get you the
real answer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote roups.com:

On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:
[...]

What a bunch of crap.

Do you really think that if I call DeWalt Customer Service and ask
them which batteries their model DW9116 charger will safely handle
they're going to try to sell me something? At a minimum they are going
to transfer me to tech support or an on-line manual. At best they will
get the information themselves and give it to me.

Here, try it: 1-800-4-DEWALT

Let us know what they try to sell you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
ups.com:

On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:
[...]

IMO,one should check for an online service support site BEFORE phoning
them. It aint that hard these days.Heck,you're already online making these
posts.Instead,some would rather have others do their research for them.

Also,READ any manual you have at home,first.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

Here's a thought: Call the manufacturer and give them the model number
of the charger and batteries. I'll bet they know the answer to both
questions.

Yes, but that involves talking to real people.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Oct 5, 6:38 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:

IMO,one should check for an online service support site BEFORE phoning
them. It aint that hard these days.Heck,you're already online making these
posts.Instead,some would rather have others do their research for them.

Also,READ any manual you have at home,first.

I agree with you Jim. I'll do all I can to keep from talking to those
foreign tech supporters who can't comprehend what I'm asking and don't
have enough english vocabulary to explain the answers I'm looking for.

KC

Posted to alt.home.repair

Do you really think that if I call DeWalt Customer Service and ask
them which batteries their model DW9116 charger will safely handle

The DeWalt chargers have the battery voltage(s) they will charge written
right on the device so you don't have to call.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
oups.com:

On 5 Oct, 19:38, Jim Yanik wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote
roups.com:

On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:
[...]

Because then the guy learns to answer his own questions,and learns more
from it. You'd be surprised at all you can learn just from RTFM.

It also conserves the phone support resource for truly necessary questions
from deserving people.Checking online sources,FAQs first requires no time
from company personnel.
Aural spoken-word bandwidth is far less than even dialup.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

KC wrote in
ups.com:

On Oct 5, 6:38 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:

IMO,one should check for an online service support site BEFORE
phoning them. It aint that hard these days.Heck,you're already online
making these posts.Instead,some would rather have others do their
research for them.

Also,READ any manual you have at home,first.

I agree with you Jim. I'll do all I can to keep from talking to those
foreign tech supporters who can't comprehend what I'm asking and don't
have enough english vocabulary to explain the answers I'm looking for.

KC

I didn't even cite this reason to DerbyDad! Good one!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 11:43 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:

I have one of those cordless drills that has a 24 volt battery. I was
wondering what would happen if I unplugged the charger from the wall,
and left the battery in it. Will the charger discharge the battery if
I dont pull it out of the charger?

Also, someone gave me an 18 volt drill that has the identical looking
battery, except the battery is an 18 volt, not a 24. That drill did
work when he gave it to me, but his charger died, and he just bought a
new drill. Can I plug that 18V battery in the 24V charger or will I
damage the battery? It does fit into the hole on the charger. I dont
think 6 volts is that much different, but it may be for the battery.

GMU

Here's a thought: Call the manufacturer and give them the model number
of the charger and batteries. I'll bet they know the answer to both
questions.

Agree some models (Bosch for example) appear to use the same charger
for several voltage ranges. e.g. 13.8, 14 and 18 volt. But you can't
assume that and you could cook the the batteries or with certain types
overcharge them so they won't discharge properly. (memory effect).

Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote in
ups.com:

On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:

[...]

generally,OEM battery packs are keyed in some manner so they can only be
inserted in appropriate OEM chargers.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/6/2007 9:31 AM Jim Yanik said the following:
terry wrote in
ups.com:

On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:

[...]

After reading your post, I tried putting a Ryobi 12v battery pack into a
Ryobi 18v charger, The 12v battery neck is exactly the same size and
configuration as the 18v pack, and fit into the 18v charger. However,
the charger lights did not come on with the 12v pack, but did with the
18v pack (as they should).

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 5, 11:03 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote groups.com:

On 5 Oct, 19:38, Jim Yanik wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote
roups.com:

On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:
[...]

First, let's start with the fact that I have, and have read, every
manual for every tool, toy and vehicle I've every owned. OK, maybe
I've finally thrown away the manual from that old '66 Rambler, but I
think you know what I mean. Add to that the fact that if I buy or am
given something that didn't come with a manual, I'll look it up and
download it.

However, that won't stop me from picking up the phone, dialing the 800
number and asking a question if that's easier to do at the time or if
the manual is unclear (to me) about the question. Maybe I'm just a
personable guy. Maybe I feel that as a paying customer, I already paid
to have that person waiting with headset in hand (or on head, to be
more precise). Doesn't that make me a "deserving" person?

BTW here's something I find interesting...In one post you said:

- It also conserves the phone support resource for truly necessary
questions from deserving people.

Then in another post you agreed with the following sentiment, calling
it a "Good one!"

"I'll do all I can to keep from talking to those foreign tech
supporters who can't comprehend what I'm asking and don't have enough
english vocabulary to explain the answers I'm looking for."

So which is it? Are the CSR's a precious resource to be reserved for
truly deserving people or are they to be avoided because they can't
speak your native language? I don't believe you can have it both ways.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Oct 2007 23:38:13 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote in
oups.com:

On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:
[...]

No manual.
I bought this thing (USED) at an auction.
It's some off brand (no-name) drill. But for $20 I cant complain,
especially with 3 good 24v batteries, 2 identical drills, plus a
charger.

Then I got that 18volt drill that uses the same shaped battery (also
an off brand).

I'd think that ALL drill batteries should or should not be left in a
charger, which is why I am asking. What is the recommendations?
Can the battery voltage drain from being in an unplugged charger?
I like leaving it in the charger so I know which battery was recently
charged. Otherwise it's a guess...... (the drained ones are set near
the charger). Otherwise it comes down to putting masking tape on the
battery and labelling it by charge date.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6 Oct 2007 03:03:10 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

DerbyDad03 wrote in
roups.com:

On 5 Oct, 19:38, Jim Yanik wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote
roups.com:

On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:
[...]

Even if I could locate an actual company for this drill.......
Long distance calls are expensive in my area, and most companies put a
person on hold for a long time these days. I end up running up a $5
phone bill and wasting a half hour.

And if anyone has any experience with emailing companies lately, 9 out
of 10 companies never reply. In fact I just called a company today
that I emailed 2 months ago, and never got a reply. (not related to
the drills). I wonder if I will get a return phone message?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:

[...]

I wish someone would come up with a universal charger that fits ALL of
those drill (and other tool) batteries, and has a switch to select the
voltage. I got at least 5 different tools/batteries here, and several
dont have chargers. At the price of chargers, I'd rather just buy one
for all tools. Hopefully someone will eventually make one. It's too
bad that not all batteries were not initially made the same shape, not
to mention voltage. Of course the voltage seems to keep getting
higher, which means more power, but heavier batteries/tools. I'm
wondering what will happen when they get to 120volts. Will they also
plug in to a common outlet? (yeah, they will have to convert to DC).
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:
[...]

chances are,any no-name drill is going to come with a simple charger;no
"smarts",charge times longer than 1 hour(3-5 hrs or more),and will probably
discharge the battery once the line power is turned off,and will overcharge
the pack if left on past the time needed to fully recharge the pack.

examine the charger and see what the charge times are.
open it up if you can and see what IC is controlling the charge.
Then look up the application note for that IC.(Google)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:

[...]

Why? where's the market for such a charger?
(Considering that most drills come with a charger)
If there's not a big enough market,there will not be any profit in making
one.

you would have to have adapters for each type,as bases,electric connections
and charge sensing will be different for each brand of battery.
That is going to add up to a considerable cost.

I got at least 5 different tools/batteries here, and several
dont have chargers. At the price of chargers, I'd rather just buy one
for all tools. Hopefully someone will eventually make one. It's too
bad that not all batteries were not initially made the same shape, not
to mention voltage. Of course the voltage seems to keep getting
higher, which means more power, but heavier batteries/tools. I'm
wondering what will happen when they get to 120volts. Will they also
plug in to a common outlet? (yeah, they will have to convert to DC).

That's why the change to Lithium-ion batteries;more energy at lower
weight,plus the no-self-discharge characteristic.
Also fewer cells to supply a desired voltage.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:

[...]

Hi Jim, nice to see you back.

Last week you and I were having a discussion about the use of the
Customer Service Reps vs. the manual and I don't recall see a response
to my last question to you. Allow me to ask it again...perhaps I
misunderstood the seemingly inconsistant comments you made in two
different posts. Here's what I posted on 10-6:

***** Begin Included Text *****

BTW here's something I find interesting...In one post you said:

- It also conserves the phone support resource for truly necessary
questions from deserving people.

Then in another post you agreed with the following sentiment, calling
it a "Good one!"

"I'll do all I can to keep from talking to those foreign tech
supporters who can't comprehend what I'm asking and don't have enough
english vocabulary to explain the answers I'm looking for."

So which is it? Are the CSR's a precious resource to be reserved for
truly deserving people or are they to be avoided because they can't
speak your native language? I don't believe you can have it both
ways.

Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 wrote in
oups.com:

:

On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:

[...]

Uh,the two are separate problems.
Perhaps you honestly believe that employing cheaper foreign support people
means there will be more of them,making for a larger resource.I am not that
naive.

it appears you're looking for a fight here.
Since it means SO much to you,here's my answer,FWIW;

I can agree with not wanting to deal with foreign tech support people;both
on the basis of those jobs should be done by employing OUR citizens,and
secondly because the foreigners don't have a good command of English or
have a severe accent making them hard to understand.What good is an answer
if you cannot understand it because the accent has garbled it? (at least a
printed FAQ is accent-free;in English and readable.)

Certainly,calling any tech support when the answers you seek are on on a
company website means that more tech support may need to be hired.
(maybe raising the price of the product...)
More phonecalls mean that more people and more phone lines are needed to
handle the added volume;X number of techs can only handle so many calls per
shift,or the wait gets longer.Asking questions that have been answered on
the website uses up bandwidth(phone line/tech time).

Your being lazy,and that is what it is,usually means a longer wait for
others that have questions not answered on the website.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik