Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Steve is offline

Default Is a 1/16 dremel router bit made?

wrote:
I checked around and only found an 1/8" dremel router bit. I am making
a fretboard from walnut. Will the 1/16" dremel carving bit work to
make slots?
Thanks, Ron

Ron;

I've built several fretless bass guitars, and in each case I used the
standard fret saw, which cuts a .023" kerf, then used maple veneer cut
into strips and glued into the slots. I actually have a narrow-kerf
6-inch diameter blade that goes in my table saw for this. You have to
sand the veneer strips down a little because veneers are 1/40" or .025"
thick. In one case I used black dyed maple veneer in a birdseye maple
fingerboard. The fretlines I get this way show up fine - they don't
really need to be any wider.

Hope this helps!

--Steve