Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default Is it just me, or ...........

Pete,

I still have an old RamSet high velocity, no piston. Powder load
drives the nail. NOT OSHA approved.

The clip fed RedHead is safer, easier, and low velocity.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Pete C." wrote in message
Ernie Sty wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
Ernie Sty wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message
Today, I attacked the garage full of boxes from my recent
move. I did
the
McGyver thing and put up some old cabinets I had, a sheet
of pegboard,
mounted the screw drawer arranger thinguses. Was pretty
proud of
myself.

Then, I started on the boxes. As I went, some things were
very
apparently
garbage. I was tossing a lot of things in the garbage
can. Then I
thought, why, I could use that for this or that. Or I
just recently
was
looking for one of those. So, I emptied the garbage can
on the floor
and
went through it again. I now have a box of pieces of
strap, corner
braces, ones and twos of all manner of crap. I felt
somehow a little
more
secure afterward thinking I may have saved some treasures
from the
dumper.

I still have three 5 gallon buckets full of fasteners, all
mixed
together.
Must be 5,000 .22 cal powder cartridges in there.

snip

Steve

Ok, I can see why you'd want to save fasteners, scraps of
wood and metal,
etc--but why do you save .22 shells? Are you going to
recycle them? And
what on earth are you spending that much ammo on--or do you
pick up other
folks' shells as well?

I believe he's referring to live .22 loads for a powder
actuated nail
gun.

Thanks. I had forgotten they even had those. How do they
work, anyway? Do
they accelerate the nail to high velocity and momentum carries
it in, or
does the shell charge just pound in the nail in one blow?

Neither. Low velocity. Charge acts on a piston that drives the
ram that
drives the nail. All done in one shot. Different color coded
charge
level loads to use depending on what size nail and into what
material.
The really good guns have power level adjustments that let you
fine tune
the driving force.