Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop` Pop` is offline

Default contract responsiblity question

wrote:
On Oct 12, 1:26 pm, "Art" wrote:
If the contract says he doens't get paid until it passes inspection
he is screwed. On the other hand, depending on how the contract is
written you may be responsible for the extra cost. Also the
engineer may have some liability. Lawyers are expensive. Sit down
with everyone and resolve the problem.

wrote in message

oups.com...

I hired a contractor to put in a cathederal ceiling in my house. He
hired a structural engineer, pulled the permit, removed the old
ceiling and put the new cieling up to the ridge line of my roof
After it was done the inspector said that the LVL beam that was put
up is blocking the ridge vent now and roof venting is needed.

When I called the contractor he tells me that since my contract with
him was just for the framing he is not responsible for putting in
the new ventilation.

My question is since the venting was fine before the cathederal was
put in and he pulled the permit shouldn't he be responsible for
fixing the problem identified by the building inspector? btw this
is Massachusetts if it matters.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mike McCarthy- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Art I thought it was something like that. If I remember
correctly the contract mentions that he will pull the permit but I
don't think there is anything about inspections. I will have to look
at it again tonight.

I agree, using a lawyer for something like this would be overkill.
I'm just building a case for when I call the contractor back. If he
won't do it I will just hire someone else to do the vents, more money
but less headaches.

Mike

OTOH, small claims courts are cheap, don't require a lawyer, and depend
solely on the preponderance of the evidence. You had no problem, he came,
worked, and left you with a problem he did not alert you to, nor give you a
chance to remedy. I suspect a small claims judge would side with you on
this one.

IMO

Pop`