Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] GMU@oink.com is offline

Default Leaving a drill battery in charger

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 23:25:42 -0700, terry
wrote:

On Oct 5, 11:43 am, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 5 Oct, 04:12, wrote:

I have one of those cordless drills that has a 24 volt battery. I was
wondering what would happen if I unplugged the charger from the wall,
and left the battery in it. Will the charger discharge the battery if
I dont pull it out of the charger?

Also, someone gave me an 18 volt drill that has the identical looking
battery, except the battery is an 18 volt, not a 24. That drill did
work when he gave it to me, but his charger died, and he just bought a
new drill. Can I plug that 18V battery in the 24V charger or will I
damage the battery? It does fit into the hole on the charger. I dont
think 6 volts is that much different, but it may be for the battery.

GMU

Here's a thought: Call the manufacturer and give them the model number
of the charger and batteries. I'll bet they know the answer to both
questions.

Agree some models (Bosch for example) appear to use the same charger
for several voltage ranges. e.g. 13.8, 14 and 18 volt. But you can't
assume that and you could cook the the batteries or with certain types
overcharge them so they won't discharge properly. (memory effect).

I wish someone would come up with a universal charger that fits ALL of
those drill (and other tool) batteries, and has a switch to select the
voltage. I got at least 5 different tools/batteries here, and several
dont have chargers. At the price of chargers, I'd rather just buy one
for all tools. Hopefully someone will eventually make one. It's too
bad that not all batteries were not initially made the same shape, not
to mention voltage. Of course the voltage seems to keep getting
higher, which means more power, but heavier batteries/tools. I'm
wondering what will happen when they get to 120volts. Will they also
plug in to a common outlet? (yeah, they will have to convert to DC).