Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Home Depot house paint sux big time!!

** Frank ** wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
** Frank ** wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Jim wrote:
I'm a landlord, own several houses I currently rent. Based on my
experience with Behr brand exterior house paint purchased from Home
Depot, I'll never buy that Behr brand guano or any paint from Home
Depot again!!
Guess results and opinions are like the proverbial appendages --
everybody has their own...

Used the Behr exterior on the barn here and it worked (spray
application) extremely well, covered well and has/is holding up well. I
have been quite satisfied.

Don't recall the name of the particular product, but it was the premium
line and not that much less than any other of similar quality -- about
$80/5-gal bucket iirc, including a volume discount of 10% or so,
five/six years ago, I forget which w/o looking it up. Retail was
probably pushing $20/gal then. I suspect if buy a $10/gal paint instead
of $20, one will find it doesn't stand up to the higher priced...

--

Can't go by just the cost of the paint. The most expensive paint on a
rental (due to abuse) may only last 3 years while a cheaper brand will

Abuse has nothing whatsoever to do with the paint itself...

And while there have been some of the tests CR has done that have shown
one or two of the more expensive didn't perform for some reason, in
general it is true that the actual paint quality (in terms of amount of
pigment, etc.) is correlated w/ price, no unsurprisingly.

--

OP was talking about paint on his rental units and for that high price paint
doesn't do any better than a good cheap one due to the accelerated ware and

He also was talking about _EXTERIOR_ paint, not interior, and also made
blanket condemnation of Behr paints w/o consideration of _which_
particular paint...

I simply pointed out there are at least some with which I have had
excellent results not matching his generic claim...