Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot house paint sux big time!!

I'm a landlord, own several houses I currently rent. Based on my
experience with Behr brand exterior house paint purchased from Home
Depot, I'll never buy that Behr brand guano or any paint from Home
Depot again!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 23:42:06 -0700, Jim
wrote:

I'm a landlord, own several houses I currently rent. Based on my
experience with Behr brand exterior house paint purchased from Home
Depot, I'll never buy that Behr brand guano or any paint from Home
Depot again!!

I'm also a landlord in the same situation and can't say that I agree.

I've used Behr soild color exterior stain on three houses and one
garage with excellent results. So far, I've truly gotten 10 years and
counting out of their 20 Plus stain.

Also, I've used Behr exterior white semi-gloss trim enamel and have
found it to be excellent. Even Consumer Reports (ya, I know they are
not perfect) has rated Behr highly.

What grade of Behr paint did you buy and how/where was it used?

I've also had good luck with their America's Best interior medium
grade paint (made for them by Glidden/ICI Industries).
Also they sell about three grades of Glidden, also well rated.

I did have poor luck with one can of Behr interior enamel. It seemed
runny and the color was not consistent even after mixing.

Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm a landlord, own several houses I currently rent. Based on my
experience with Behr brand exterior house paint purchased from Home
Depot, I'll never buy that Behr brand guano or any paint from Home
Depot again!!

I have had good results with interior Behr. Benjamin Moore for
exterior is good. Consumer Reports has the ratings. Brands, use, and
color matters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I'm a landlord, own several houses I currently rent. Based on my
experience with Behr brand exterior house paint purchased from Home
Depot, I'll never buy that Behr brand guano or any paint from Home
Depot again!!

I have had good results with interior Behr. Benjamin Moore for
exterior is good. Consumer Reports has the ratings. Brands, use, and
color matters.

All brands have a cheap line and a top line, I bet you are buying the
cheapest and dont buy what is needed, ex you probably dont know what
grade is needed for a single coat from experiance, you guess, and
loose.

Posted to alt.home.repair
KLS KLS is offline

wrote:

I'm a landlord, own several houses I currently rent. Based on my
experience with Behr brand exterior house paint purchased from Home
Depot, I'll never buy that Behr brand guano or any paint from Home
Depot again!!

I have had good results with interior Behr. Benjamin Moore for
exterior is good. Consumer Reports has the ratings. Brands, use, and
color matters.

All brands have a cheap line and a top line, I bet you are buying the
cheapest and dont buy what is needed, ex you probably dont know what
grade is needed for a single coat from experiance, you guess, and
loose.

No, I agree with Jim: Behr paint is not good, period. We just used
the deluxe interior latex for bathrooms and kitchens, and the
performance was far worse than the same type of product by Valspar
(Lowe's). The Behr didn't cover well, and the color was not good. The
Valspar covered almost perfectly in a single coat, and the color is
very rich. I'll also never buy Behr, and several of my friends agree,
having had the same negative experiences with this product line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

9.9 times out of 10 it's the prep (and the painter) that's bad...not the
paint.
Behr the best I've ever used!

"Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm a landlord, own several houses I currently rent. Based on my
experience with Behr brand exterior house paint purchased from Home
Depot, I'll never buy that Behr brand guano or any paint from Home
Depot again!!

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jim wrote:
I'm a landlord, own several houses I currently rent. Based on my
experience with Behr brand exterior house paint purchased from Home
Depot, I'll never buy that Behr brand guano or any paint from Home
Depot again!!

Guess results and opinions are like the proverbial appendages --
everybody has their own...

Used the Behr exterior on the barn here and it worked (spray
application) extremely well, covered well and has/is holding up well. I
have been quite satisfied.

Don't recall the name of the particular product, but it was the premium
line and not that much less than any other of similar quality -- about
$80/5-gal bucket iirc, including a volume discount of 10% or so,
five/six years ago, I forget which w/o looking it up. Retail was
probably pushing $20/gal then. I suspect if buy a $10/gal paint instead
of $20, one will find it doesn't stand up to the higher priced...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug wrote:

What grade of Behr paint did you buy and how/where was it used?

Which is the key question. All paint companies have different grades of paint
ranging from colored water to one coat, 30 year coverage.

The big box stores (and Wal Mart) feature the cheaper grades, but you can find
the better stuff if you look.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Jim wrote:
[...]

Can't go by just the cost of the paint. The most expensive paint on a rental
(due to abuse) may only last 3 years while a cheaper brand will last just as
long. No need for a 20 year paint if you know you needed to repaint every 5
years. Consumer Report did a comparison and surprised (maybe not) to see one
of the most expensive paints rated on the bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

** Frank ** wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Jim wrote:
[...]

Abuse has nothing whatsoever to do with the paint itself...

And while there have been some of the tests CR has done that have shown
one or two of the more expensive didn't perform for some reason, in
general it is true that the actual paint quality (in terms of amount of
pigment, etc.) is correlated w/ price, no unsurprisingly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm a landlord, own several houses I currently rent. Based on my
experience with Behr brand exterior house paint purchased from Home
Depot, I'll never buy that Behr brand guano or any paint from Home
Depot again!!

Well, good for you!

Did you want to discuss this?

Are you just venting your spleen?

Would you like to give us any information, hints, or experiences with this
company or products?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Did you use Behr white? Behr warns you that their white is pure white
whereas most competitors put in pigments to make their whites cover better
though they won't be as white as Behr.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
GWB GWB is offline

I use Behr Ultra exclusively and love it.

So there! G

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Oct, 09:48, dpb wrote:
Jim wrote:
[...]

FYI...it isn't an "appendage" that opinions are typically compared to.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 12 Oct, 09:48, dpb wrote:

-- opinions are like the proverbial appendages

FYI...it isn't an "appendage" that opinions are typically compared to.

I chosed it on for poorpoise fur the inference whoever would chooz to
draw...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
** Frank ** wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Jim wrote:
[...]

OP was talking about paint on his rental units and for that high price paint
doesn't do any better than a good cheap one due to the accelerated ware and
tear. Its the same reason you don't install top of the line carpet in a
rental unit as you know you need to replace it every 7 years down the line.
Really if an expensive paint that could last 10 years in a rental, I'll be
the first one to buy it. Paint is cheap, labor is not. Maintaining rentals
since 1980 and used hundreds of gallons of paint since. Just my experience,
may not be yours - YMMV.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 3:02 pm, dpb wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 12 Oct, 09:48, dpb wrote:

-- opinions are like the proverbial appendages

FYI...it isn't an "appendage" that opinions are typically compared to.

-- I chosed it on for poorpoise fur the inference whoever would chooz
to draw

But your wording doesn't work because an appendage hangs *out* and
an ... oh, nevermind.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

** Frank ** wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
** Frank ** wrote:
"dpb" wrote in message ...
Jim wrote:
[...]

He also was talking about _EXTERIOR_ paint, not interior, and also made
blanket condemnation of Behr paints w/o consideration of _which_
particular paint...

I simply pointed out there are at least some with which I have had
excellent results not matching his generic claim...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 12, 3:02 pm, dpb wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 12 Oct, 09:48, dpb wrote:

-- opinions are like the proverbial appendages
FYI...it isn't an "appendage" that opinions are typically compared to.

-- I chosed it on for poorpoise fur the inference whoever would chooz
to draw

But your wording doesn't work because an appendage hangs *out* and
an ... oh, nevermind.

My choice to pick my mis-appropriate term; your choice to criticize, ...
If it were to be totally the "correct" word in some sense, what would be
the point in choosing the wrong one?

Do you ever smile over _anything_ or do you simply look for stuff to
pick on to show your superiority???

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/12/2007 10:39 AM ** Frank ** said the following:
"dpb" wrote in message ...

Jim wrote:

[...]

How much more abuse does an exterior of a rental get than an exterior of
an owner occupied house?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Jim wrote:

[...]

I have a commercial property that gets tag about once a week or once a
month. Not saying owner occupied properties don't get tag but don't see it
as much as the rental units like store fronts or apartments.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

** Frank ** wrote:
I have a commercial property that gets tag about once a week or once a
month. Not saying owner occupied properties don't get tag but don't see it
as much as the rental units like store fronts or apartments.

That's probably more a result of where the property is located rather
than whether it is owned or rental...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 18:01:20 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

"** Frank **" wrote

Maintaining rentals
since 1980 and used hundreds of gallons of paint since. Just my
experience, may not be yours - YMMV.

We have vacation rentals. We use top of the line on everything, but then,
we get up to 5x the note for a month of rentals. Slightly different than
the average rental.

I owe the same note amount I did 12 years ago. :-))

Hundreds of gallons? Must be pretty thick by now.

You kill me sometimes!

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Oct, 17:08, dpb wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 12, 3:02 pm, dpb wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 12 Oct, 09:48, dpb wrote:

-- opinions are like the proverbial appendages
FYI...it isn't an "appendage" that opinions are typically compared to.

-- I chosed it on for poorpoise fur the inference whoever would chooz
to draw

But your wording doesn't work because an appendage hangs *out* and
an ... oh, nevermind.

My choice to pick my mis-appropriate term; your choice to criticize, ...
If it were to be totally the "correct" word in some sense, what would be
the point in choosing the wrong one?

Do you ever smile over _anything_ or do you simply look for stuff to
pick on to show your superiority???

--

-- Do you ever smile over _anything_ or do you simply look for stuff
to pick on to show your superiority???

I guess you didn't get any part of my joke. Neither of my posts wern't
meant as criticism and I'm sorry if that impression came through.

Appendages stick out...the other body part doesn't, thus my attempt at
humor, not criticism.

Once again, I'm sorry you took my posts the wrong way, and I say that
with a smile on face, the same smile I had on when I posted earlier.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 12 Oct, 17:08, dpb wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Oct 12, 3:02 pm, dpb wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 12 Oct, 09:48, dpb wrote:
[...]

Well, if that weren't the case, it wouldn't have been a malapropism...

And yes, if you somehow meant either of the previous replies as being
other than critical, I certainly missed it...

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm a landlord, own several houses I currently rent. Based on my
experience with Behr brand exterior house paint purchased from Home
Depot, I'll never buy that Behr brand guano or any paint from Home
Depot again!!

I've never understood why people are so willing to pay $40 bucks a gallon
for Ben Moore paint. I've had mediocre results with it, both interior and
exterior.

About 10 years ago, I painted 2 west-facing windows. I finished a can of BM
high gloss latex on one window, and bought a can of Behr high gloss latex
for the other. The latter stood up much better to the elements. Both
windows were prepped identically.

I think it is all about BM Co. marketing and creating a botique image for
their paint. There's nothing special about it.

My only complaint about Behr paint is that their colors suck. Lowes has
much better color collections.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Jim wrote:

[...]

You must not be a landlord to ask that question.

How about the simple and common practice of bouncing
footballs/baseballs/basketballs against the house walls?

"Hey, that's what my security deposit is for, right"?

Doug
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Jim wrote:

[...]

As a landlord, still at an accelerated rate, though not as bad as the
interior.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SteveB" wrote in message

"** Frank **" wrote

Maintaining rentals
since 1980 and used hundreds of gallons of paint since. Just my
experience, may not be yours - YMMV.

We have vacation rentals. We use top of the line on everything, but then,
we get up to 5x the note for a month of rentals. Slightly different than
the average rental.

Hundreds of gallons? Must be pretty thick by now.

Steve

Funny. For a whole house, typical for me is 15 gallons for interior and 15
gallons for exterior. One rental took about 25 gallons just on the interior.
I use a commercial airless for speed so may not be as economical (paint
wise) as someone using a brush.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Jim wrote:

[...]

I have couple of units where the tenant put 3" nails on the facial all
around the exterior of the house for Christmas lights - pull nails out,
patch and repaint. One put holes around all the windows into the stucco -
patch and repaint. One lost his keys (tenant's kid) and decided he had to
pee on my exterior wall. Another one show off with his cars, cash, guns and
jewelry so he was robbed (home intrusion) and I ended up repairing the
broken front door and frame - painted one side of the exterior wall to
match. The same tenant with the fancy cars hide his money and guns in
interior walls and when he left, open walls and damaged structure had to be
replaced and painted ... sorry, that's interior.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

"dpb" wrote in message ...

Jim wrote:

[...]

Reminders all of why to _NOT_ be in the rental business...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Reminders all of why to _NOT_ be in the rental business...

--

The positive side is seeing property values double every seven years with
the tenants paying a good part of the mortgage and the huge run up we had

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:33:45 -0500, dpb wrote:

Reminders all of why to _NOT_ be in the rental business...

If the numbers work; why not?

I had two occupied rentals; double in price (recent bubble), so when
the lease was up they were sold. Oh, no more tenants All in 18 - 24
months.

I moved across town and got us a single floor home

--
Oren

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

** Frank ** wrote:
Reminders all of why to _NOT_ be in the rental business...

--

The positive side is seeing property values double every seven years ...

Maybe, maybe not...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:58:24 -0500, dpb wrote:

** Frank ** wrote:
Reminders all of why to _NOT_ be in the rental business...

The positive side is seeing property values double every seven years ...

Maybe, maybe not...

Not in today's market! :-\

--
Oren

"equal opportunity, not equal results"
Posted to alt.home.repair

** Frank ** wrote:
Reminders all of why to _NOT_ be in the rental business...

The positive side is seeing property values double every seven years ...

Maybe, maybe not...

Not in today's market! :-\

Not in today's market if purchased high and flip now, but the above is my
long term investment average since 1975 including markets like today's.
Doubling every seven years translates to about 10% average appreciation
which is no big deal until you factor leverage into it. I think the national
average is around 8% long term.

If you want to do this well in today's market right now, look into
commercial properties which is not in lockstep with the residential
downturn. It also has a better positive cash flow than single family units.

Posted to alt.home.repair

** Frank ** wrote:
Reminders all of why to _NOT_ be in the rental business...

The positive side is seeing property values double every seven years ...

Maybe, maybe not...

Not in today's market! :-\

--
Oren

Many things affect the market, Oren, and region is one of them. Last year,
Las Vegas was projected to run out of buildable land in the valley. If you
can hold out, things should start to pick up again here next year, ratchet
up for five more, then zoom when land fizzles out in Vegas.

We had our houses for sale, but now plan to continue using them as vacation
rentals, and enjoy the cash flow until the market either picks up enough to
get our price, or really starts jumping more than 8% per year in valuations.
Now we're going to hire a resident manager, and just sit on them. Houses
near Harmon and Sandhill.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

** Frank ** wrote:
Reminders all of why to _NOT_ be in the rental business...

The positive side is seeing property values double every seven years ...
Maybe, maybe not...

Not in today's market! :-\

Not in today's market if purchased high and flip now, but the above is my
long term investment average since 1975 including markets like today's.
Doubling every seven years translates to about 10% average appreciation
which is no big deal until you factor leverage into it. I think the national
average is around 8% long term.

If you want to do this well in today's market right now, look into
commercial properties which is not in lockstep with the residential
downturn. It also has a better positive cash flow than single family units.

Ain't enough money in the world to get me to be involved in rental
property if I had to do _anything_ on the maintenance aspect as being
discussed in this thread...