Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default contract responsiblity question

on 10/12/2007 2:04 PM said the following:
On Oct 12, 1:33 pm, willshak wrote:

on 10/12/2007 12:41 PM said the following:

I hired a contractor to put in a cathederal ceiling in my house. He
hired a structural engineer, pulled the permit, removed the old
ceiling and put the new cieling up to the ridge line of my roof After
it was done the inspector said that the LVL beam that was put up is
blocking the ridge vent now and roof venting is needed.

When I called the contractor he tells me that since my contract with
him was just for the framing he is not responsible for putting in the
new ventilation.

My question is since the venting was fine before the cathederal was
put in and he pulled the permit shouldn't he be responsible for fixing
the problem identified by the building inspector? btw this is
Massachusetts if it matters.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mike McCarthy

Did the builder leave all the attic rafters and ridge beam in place and
just put up ceiling panels (sheetrock) on the original rafters along
with the LVL beam as a decoration?
I can't see where the ridge vent would now be blocked if he left
everything in place, or he put in insulation without leaving an air path
between the soffit vents and ridge vent. You have soffit vents, right?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

No this isn't decoration, he cut the roof joists, replaced the old 2x6
ridge beam with a lvl and re-hung the joists on the lvl. The problem
as that the lvl is significantly wider than the old 2x6 so it covers
where the plywood sheating was cut to allow air flow.

And no I don't have soffit vents and these weren't part of the
contract so I'm responsible for them.

OK. We got problems! You're gonna need to cut a wider ridge vent slot
and a get a wider ridge vent.
They make wide ridge vents, some as wide as 15.5 inches.
See here for an example of various widths available.
http://www.ebuild.com/products/produ...PriceAscMfrAsc
or http://tinyurl.com/ysahdc

--

Bill