Posted to rec.woodworking
John Martin John Martin is offline

Default your thoughts on metric

On Oct 11, 6:12 pm, "Lee" wrote:
I am getting a bit fed-up with the 15/32...13/64... and the rest of the crap
measurements we use here. Why shouldn't I go to what the rest of the world
uses? Metric. Please no political BS. Seems like using 10's is a lot
easier.No I'm not too old to change (62).G

I've worked with both systems, and agree that the metric system is
easier to use.

I've already got wrench and socket sets in US and metric sizes, so
that's no problem. Oh, and Whitworth too - so I'm completely covered.

But - remember the adage about not changing horses in mid-stream?

I don't want to have to buy new taps and dies in metric sizes, except
for those few I already have. Gets expensive when you add in pipe
threads - although, from what I understand, even European pipe sizes
are inch-based.

I don't want to have to buy new brace bits, Forstner bits and brad
point bits in metric sizes to fit metric dowels, plugs and bolts.

Metal bits? I've already got #1-80, A-Z, fractional through 1" and
some larger. Pretty good range of sizes, so all I have to do is
convert from the chart for metric tap drills. But that won't work for
things like dowel pins - so I guess I'd need sets of metric reamers as
well as the drills.

Fence markings on my table saw would be fairly easy to replace. But
the feedscrews and leadscrews on my lathe and milling machine are
another matter. Same with the lathe change gears.

When I buy plywood or wallboard for house repairs, it's nice to buy
sizes that fit those 12", 16" or 24" center spacings for joists, studs
and rafters. Sure would be a PITA to have to trim metric sized sheets
to fit. Same with dimensional lumber. It sure isn't much fun to add
to old framing made with 2 x 4s that were 1-5/8" thick or 1-3/4" thick
when those today are only 1-1/2".

Same goes for metalwork. I guess if I need a piece of bar stock or
plate to replace or modify an old US sized piece I can always buy the
next larger metric size and cut it down on the mill and surface
grinder. But I'd rather not have to. Surface grinder - have to
change the feedscrews and dials on that too.

I can buy new tapes, rules, micrometers, calipers, 1-2-3 blocks, etc.
But, again, I'd rather not have to.

New dado blades, milling cutters, etc. The investment grows.

Maybe we should go all the way and change away from our archaic units
of time, angle measurement, and so on. Put everything on base 10
systems. No more of this 24/7 stuff.

Yeah, it's a better system. It is easier. Use it all you want. Just
pray that it doesn't become mandatory here in your lifetime - or mine.

John Martin