Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default your thoughts on metric

Lew Hodgett wrote:
| "Morris Dovey" wrote:
|
|| The first customer was in Sweden so I figured it'd be
|| cool to go metric...
|
| snip a list of US v metric price comparisons
|
|| Added up the costs I /did/ know at that point, shrugged a last
|| time, and picked up the phone to order everything in inches.
|
|| Would you have done differently?
|
| I would have given the customer a choice along with the respective
| prices.
|
| It becomes his choice.
|
| He may have some very good reasons for needing metric.

Perhaps, but he didn't tell me that he needed a device built with
metric components. When I asked, he told me that his machine was
normally set up to work in mm - which is what prompted me to make the
software self-adjust at runtime.

He did get one other (unasked-for) consideration: because his location
isn't far from salt water, the screws and probes that are part of the
sets are all 18-8 stainless.

It'll still do exactly the job he wants it to do.

My point to Ed is that there's a significant cost disadvantage for
Americans attempting to produce metric products in the USA.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar