Posted to rec.woodworking
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default your thoughts on metric

Lee wrote:
: I am getting a bit fed-up with the 15/32...13/64... and the rest of the crap
: measurements we use here. Why shouldn't I go to what the rest of the world
: uses? Metric. Please no political BS.

:Seems like using 10's is a lot easier.

A common thought about metric, and a fallacy as far as I'm concerned.
It's easier to divide and multiply by multiples of 10 in metric, but so what?
"Jeez, I think the overhang on that tabletop looks a bit scanty, so I
think I'll try ten times more"? "Heck, that shelf is too long. Better
try a tenth that length and see how it looks"?

If you think about it, imperial measurements (in 16ths and 12ths) have more
integral divisors (2, 3, 4, 6, 8) than metric ones do (2 and 5).

Plus, the imperial units correspond better to humanscale proportions (as
le Corbusier and othr designers discovered when they switched ou of metric).

It's inches, feet, yards, furlongs, cubits, and barleycorns for me.

A pint's a pound, the world round.

-- Andy Barss