Posted to rec.woodworking
willshak willshak is offline

Default your thoughts on metric

on 10/11/2007 7:33 PM Lew Hodgett said the following:
"Lee" wrote:

I am getting a bit fed-up with the 15/32...13/64... and the rest of

the crap

measurements we use here. Why shouldn't I go to what the rest of the

world

uses? Metric. Please no political BS. Seems like using 10's is a lot
easier.No I'm not too old to change (62).G

Time is on the side of metric.

40 years ago when the metric change was proposed, the investment in
tooling, supplies, supporting infrastructure in the USA was
tremendous.

Yes, and those companies that made tools, now could sell twice as many
tools than if there was only one measurement.
"A set of SAE wrenches and a set of Metric wrenches, please."

Today a lot of that investment has become obsolete or consumed.

The change today would be easier, tomorrow easier yet.

Lew

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY