Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default your thoughts on metric

Lee wrote:
Not looking at tools etc. Looking at replacing fractional US measurements

So, do what you want. What are you measuring and why would it make any
difference to anyone else but you?

Me, I'm same age, trained as engineer so mks are familiar in their
place, but for day-to-day usage, British measurements are just what
"comes naturally". For measuring in woodworking a 64th is more than
adequate for virtually any and everything, a 32nd is usually good enough
except for matching joints where to make things easy one generally uses
a marking gauge and transfer marks, not actual physical measurements,
anyway. For estimating, I _know_ what an inch is in terms of a length
of particular finger joint, eight inches is a convenient spread, lots of
practice lets me pace of a yard pretty doggone accurately, ... Any of
those in even cgs units is something I'd have to start over at age 8 to
have a hope of learning with such fluency. No point in it as far as I
can see...

$0.02, ymmv, etc., of course, ...

--

"Morris Dovey" No reason not to. If you do, then I'll join you as soon as
I can by

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar