Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
willshak willshak is offline

Default Star drill?

on 10/11/2007 6:29 PM RicodJour said the following:
On Oct 11, 5:58 pm, willshak wrote:

on 10/11/2007 5:45 PM PeterD said the following:

Didn't you kill file me, or does your Plonk machine not work?
There are no insults in there. Did I call anyone stupid, or ignorant,
like some called me for daring to use an old technology instead of the
latest, greatest, state of the art technology?

Bill, it's time to let this one go. Unless you feel like you're
'winning' when you have the last post in the thread, having the last
word doesn't mean squat.

The thing that threw me from the get go was your statement that you
had Googled and hadn't found anything. Say what?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=star+drill So unless you can't
spell either star or drill - and Google would correct it for you if
you couldn't - then something is mighty odd on your end of the
internet. You wrote, "A Google search brings up a lot of sports
drills (training regimen)." Well, yeah, that and every other result
on the Google results page was for the hand held masonry/stone drill.
So for whatever reason you couldn't find it, _you_ couldn't find
something that was beyond obvious. You had the correct name, and from
your excellent spelling, I know you spelled it right, so what
happened?

Don't know. I'm usually good at Googling. I Google a lot for other
people asking questions, in this and other groups, because I have this
obsession about helping people. It's probably why I became a police
officer and stayed for 38 years.
I'll give the answer I find, and the link, without insulting the person
asking the question.

If you had performed the search and not skipped every other result,
you wouldn't have needed to ask the question and you wouldn't have
gotten all of that horrible advice where people were trying to save
you some time and wear and tear on your body. If you like the wear
and tear on your body, that's just fine, you'll still get advice on
how to do _anything_ a simpler, less taxing way. That's called
efficiency and the human race has been pursuing that as a goal for the
last few million years. Don't blame this newsgroup.

I didn't blame anyone. I just asked a simple question. If someone else
had asked the same question, I would have answered the question first
and then offered alternatives, if I knew of any.
Since you're working on a new pool cover, a few bucks either way
obviously wouldn't have killed you. The bottom line is that you do a
fine job answering questions on this newsgroup. I've never seen you
give bad advice. You've given advice I might not agree with, but
you've never given bad advice. However your thread originating post,
and the subsequent follow ups were not of the same caliber. Instead
of asking a simple question, "Anyone know where I can get a star
bit?" you gave some history, mentioned you had no luck Googling,
explained exactly what you were doing which didn't work - which
everyone else has done at some point until _they_ learned a better
way, etc.

Anyhoo, you got the job done, you didn't have to spend money, you took
a few lumps and you've learned that it's sometimes harder to ask a
question than answer one. I think you've gotten a lot out of this
thread and hopefully you won't take away any hard feelings.

No. I have been called a 'turtle', since insults usually don't get
beyond the shell. Like I said, I was a cop for 38 years and learned how
to ignore them, otherwise there would have been a lot of dead people in
my path.

Thanks for being so understanding, and if you feel you were insulted by
any remarks I said, I'm sorry. It was business, not personal. :-)
I'm sorry to anyone else who felt that any comments I made may have
insulted or demeaned them.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY