Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis Chris Lewis is offline

Default Gas or heat pump in Midwest?

According to kjpro @ usenet.com:

"Steven Andrade" wrote in message
Just bought a house that's all electric and has a heat pump for heating.
Is that a good choice for the Midwest region? We're installing a gas line

for a
fireplace and I wonder if I shouldn't replace the heat pump with a gas

unit when
it dies. It's 18 years old now so I don't see many more days of life in

it.

How about the water heater? Gas or electric?

Don't know unless you post your utility rates, but my bet is that the HP is
going to be cheaper.

If the backup heat on the HP is gas, it will _always_ be cheaper. As
long as the gas prices don't overtake electric...
--
Chris Lewis,