Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default battery powered drills; auto 12v yet?

"Toller" wrote in
:

"werwer" wrote in message
oups.com...
A year or two ago I wound up calling manufacturers asking if they had
any battery powered drills that could use a Pb 12v car battery. They
all said no
saying the low impedance would burn out the motors. I was surprised
given the current capability of NiCd. Now the Li are on the scene.
Anyone heard of a drill capable of using the car battery?
Anyone used a car battery with a drill?

12vdc is 12vdc, whether from a car battery or NiCd. The impedance of
the drill is whatever is required for the proper amperage at 12vdc.
What are you/they talking about?!

all batteries have an internal source resistance(impedance,or Z) that
limits how much current they will output.Some types have much lower
internal Z than others.

electric motors draw their highest current at stall.

IMO,the main worry would be burning out the speed control in the
trigger;they are only designed for a set amount of current capability,and
may not have overcurrent protection.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik