Posted to alt.home.repair

Default battery powered drills; auto 12v yet?

A year or two ago I wound up calling manufacturers asking if they had
any battery powered drills that could use a Pb 12v car battery. They
all said no
saying the low impedance would burn out the motors. I was surprised
given the current capability of NiCd. Now the Li are on the scene.
Anyone heard of a drill capable of using the car battery?
Anyone used a car battery with a drill?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 12:17 pm, Eric in North TX wrote:
Since you are willing to put up with a cord, why not use a 115v drill
and get an inverter for the car.

On Oct 10, 11:50 am, werwer wrote:

A year or two ago I wound up calling manufacturers asking if they had
any battery powered drills that could use a Pb 12v car battery. They
all said no
saying the low impedance would burn out the motors. I was surprised
given the current capability of NiCd. Now the Li are on the scene.
Anyone heard of a drill capable of using the car battery?
Anyone used a car battery with a drill?- Hide quoted text -

I dont see why it wont work, maybe they just want to sell batteries.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"werwer" wrote in message
oups.com...
A year or two ago I wound up calling manufacturers asking if they had
any battery powered drills that could use a Pb 12v car battery. They
all said no
saying the low impedance would burn out the motors. I was surprised
given the current capability of NiCd. Now the Li are on the scene.
Anyone heard of a drill capable of using the car battery?
Anyone used a car battery with a drill?

Much voltage drop so make the lines short or larger. Further, you need to
fuse the lines way down preventing short circuit (meltdown or explosion) of
a few hundred amps at the drill.

There is a cordless drill out in the market a few years ago that could use
either battery or an external power supply - don't remember who make it but
should be easy for the DIY to do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"werwer" wrote in message
oups.com...
A year or two ago I wound up calling manufacturers asking if they had
any battery powered drills that could use a Pb 12v car battery. They
all said no
saying the low impedance would burn out the motors. I was surprised
given the current capability of NiCd. Now the Li are on the scene.
Anyone heard of a drill capable of using the car battery?
Anyone used a car battery with a drill?

12vdc is 12vdc, whether from a car battery or NiCd. The impedance of the
drill is whatever is required for the proper amperage at 12vdc.
What are you/they talking about?!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:50:37 -0700, werwer wrote:

A year or two ago I wound up calling manufacturers asking if they had
any battery powered drills that could use a Pb 12v car battery. They
all said no
saying the low impedance would burn out the motors. I was surprised
given the current capability of NiCd. Now the Li are on the scene.
Anyone heard of a drill capable of using the car battery?
Anyone used a car battery with a drill?

Take a 300W inverter and connect it to your car's electrical system.
Take an AC drill. Plug it into the inverter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 12:17 pm, Eric in North TX wrote:
Since you are willing to put up with a cord, why not use a 115v drill
and get an inverter for the car.

On Oct 10, 11:50 am, werwer wrote:

A year or two ago I wound up calling manufacturers asking if they had
any battery powered drills that could use a Pb 12v car battery. They
all said no
saying the low impedance would burn out the motors. I was surprised
given the current capability of NiCd. Now the Li are on the scene.
Anyone heard of a drill capable of using the car battery?
Anyone used a car battery with a drill?- Hide quoted text -

Tuff to do up at the cabin. :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 1:57 pm, "Toller" wrote:
"werwer" wrote in message

oups.com...A year or two ago I wound up calling manufacturers asking if they had
any battery powered drills that could use a Pb 12v car battery. They
all said no
saying the low impedance would burn out the motors. I was surprised
given the current capability of NiCd. Now the Li are on the scene.
Anyone heard of a drill capable of using the car battery?
Anyone used a car battery with a drill?

12vdc is 12vdc, whether from a car battery or NiCd. The impedance of the
drill is whatever is required for the proper amperage at 12vdc.
What are you/they talking about?!

.... of the battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"werwer" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 10, 2:06 pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:50:37 -0700, werwer wrote:
A year or two ago I wound up calling manufacturers asking if they had
any battery powered drills that could use a Pb 12v car battery. They
all said no
saying the low impedance would burn out the motors. I was surprised
given the current capability of NiCd. Now the Li are on the scene.
Anyone heard of a drill capable of using the car battery?
Anyone used a car battery with a drill?

Take a 300W inverter and connect it to your car's electrical system.
Take an AC drill. Plug it into the inverter.

Want battery unit.

Any 12V car battery could run any 12V dc drill or a 6V motorcycle battery
could run a any 6V dc drill. If you're handy, all you need is a disconnect,
2 wires and a fuse to protect you and the drill.

New battery technology is now pretty good, something like 2,000 charge
cycles vs. 500 cycles, 3x the run time and 1/2 the weight of a NiCd - that's
the hype anyway. Why bother with a hefty lead acid that you shouldn't use it
indoors without ventilation?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not exactly. 12V static from the drill battery a little more static
from the car battery (most will be about 13V) then put the drain on them.
The drill battery is likely to drop down to like 9 Volts quickly (internal
resistance) but the car battery may only drop down to 12V. That
difference could burn a motor that was not designed for it.

I have a cheap 12V drill that is interchangeable with a 18V power pack. No
problems so far, but I don't use it much either.

Voltage drop is huge on a 12V system and if anything should be ok for a 12V
drill. I use #4 cables from the 12V battery to the car power amp for the sub
woofers - less than 10' of run at that, and mostly for voltage drop.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 4:08 pm, "** Frank **" wrote:
Not exactly. 12V static from the drill battery a little more static
from the car battery (most will be about 13V) then put the drain on them.
The drill battery is likely to drop down to like 9 Volts quickly (internal
resistance) but the car battery may only drop down to 12V. That
difference could burn a motor that was not designed for it.

I have a cheap 12V drill that is interchangeable with a 18V power pack. No
problems so far, but I don't use it much either.

Voltage drop is huge on a 12V system and if anything should be ok for a 12V
drill. I use #4 cables from the 12V battery to the car power amp for the sub
woofers - less than 10' of run at that, and mostly for voltage drop.

10 - 1.2v nicads are fully charged at 1.35v per cell or 13.5v for the
pack, at 12v the pack is essential dead, a car battery will be fine.
the impedance story I think is nonsence.

Posted to alt.home.repair
stu stu is offline

the hype anyway. Why bother with a hefty lead acid that you shouldn't use

it
indoors without ventilation?

Why not?

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote in
ups.com:

On Oct 10, 12:17 pm, Eric in North TX wrote:
Since you are willing to put up with a cord, why not use a 115v drill
and get an inverter for the car.

On Oct 10, 11:50 am, werwer wrote:

A year or two ago I wound up calling manufacturers asking if they had
any battery powered drills that could use a Pb 12v car battery. They
all said no
saying the low impedance would burn out the motors. I was surprised
given the current capability of NiCd. Now the Li are on the scene.
Anyone heard of a drill capable of using the car battery?
Anyone used a car battery with a drill?- Hide quoted text -

I dont see why it wont work, maybe they just want to sell batteries.

IIRC,Hitachi used to sell a cordless drill that had an option for a
belt-mounted battery pack,with a coil-cord to the drill.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Toller" wrote in
:

"werwer" wrote in message
oups.com...
A year or two ago I wound up calling manufacturers asking if they had
any battery powered drills that could use a Pb 12v car battery. They
all said no
saying the low impedance would burn out the motors. I was surprised
given the current capability of NiCd. Now the Li are on the scene.
Anyone heard of a drill capable of using the car battery?
Anyone used a car battery with a drill?

12vdc is 12vdc, whether from a car battery or NiCd. The impedance of
the drill is whatever is required for the proper amperage at 12vdc.
What are you/they talking about?!

all batteries have an internal source resistance(impedance,or Z) that
limits how much current they will output.Some types have much lower
internal Z than others.

electric motors draw their highest current at stall.

IMO,the main worry would be burning out the speed control in the
trigger;they are only designed for a set amount of current capability,and
may not have overcurrent protection.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 8:36 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Toller" wrote :

"werwer" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

kua.net- Hide quoted text -

He could use an inline fuse, my RC car has a 30a fuse for 9.6v , he
could start with a 3a fuse

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 4:47 pm, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Now my questions is why not just use the 12V charger and charge one
battery while you are using another?

Right. Or buy a photovoltaic solar panel and install that on the
cabin so you can watch your 12 volt TV.