Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
turnerbob turnerbob is offline

Default Again with the buffing

On Oct 10, 4:19 pm, Kevin wrote:
Prior to my shelling out $$ for buffing equipment I would ask a couple
questions.
Let's assume I have turned my bowl and sanded to around 220 or so. I
then apply some Watco Danish oil, or BLO. I sand more to around 500
grit. After sanding to 500 would be the point to start the buffing,
yes? After buffing I could then apply shellac if that was my
preference, yes?

Hi Kevin, First off I have to wonder why you would use Danish oil at
the 220 point.
It seems to me that this is a bit pointless. Why not sand to finish
and then put the Danish oil on.
Danish oil won't raise the grain. If you have a reason I would like to
hear it.
As to the sanding I almost never go above 320 when the piece is going
to have some sort of finish.
If you were going with no finish at all sanding higher would be
needed.
I normally sand to 320 then put on a couple coats of danish oil.
Before any finish can be put over the danish oil you need to let it
cure a couple of days minimum.
At this point I prefer 2-3 coats of a good quality paste wax and then
buff. An alternative here which I use
sometimes is the bealle system. Well worth the investment.
If your going to use shellac rather than wax make sure it is fully
cured before buffing.
I don't use this method on all woods as different woods require
different finishes.
Bob
http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com