Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

Default Gas water heater

Phisherman wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:12:11 -0400, "Jack Simmons"
wrote:

I just wanted to get a feel for how long a water heater should last
without problems. Mine is on the second floor of my house sort of in
an attic crawl space. It has been there for 10 years since I bought
the house (installed new at that time) with no problems. I just dont
want to come home one day to a flood. Am thinking about replacing it
just to be safe. I welcome any opinions.
J. Simmons

Tanks last longer with soft water and proper maintenance. On average
expect them to last 15 years, although 25 years is not unusual. Cheap
insurance: Place a water tank appliance pan underneath and connect a
drain hose/pipe to the outside. When/if it leaks might save yourself
a mess. Ice maker lines and laundry hoses can cause unexpected flood
damage too.

My last water heater lasted 9 years before rusting out and starting to leak.