Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas water heater

I just wanted to get a feel for how long a water heater should last without
problems. Mine is on the second floor of my house sort of in an attic crawl
space. It has been there for 10 years since I bought the house (installed
new at that time) with no problems. I just dont want to come home one day to
a flood. Am thinking about replacing it just to be safe. I welcome any
opinions.
J. Simmons

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack Simmons wrote:
I just wanted to get a feel for how long a water heater should last without
problems. Mine is on the second floor of my house sort of in an attic crawl
space. It has been there for 10 years since I bought the house (installed
new at that time) with no problems. I just dont want to come home one day to
a flood. Am thinking about replacing it just to be safe. I welcome any
opinions.
J. Simmons

ever check the anode?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jack Simmons wrote:
I just wanted to get a feel for how long a water heater should last without
problems. Mine is on the second floor of my house sort of in an attic crawl
space. It has been there for 10 years since I bought the house (installed
new at that time) with no problems. I just dont want to come home one day to
a flood. Am thinking about replacing it just to be safe. I welcome any
opinions.
J. Simmons

The average life of a gas water heater is 10 years.
Yes, some last longer. But after 10 years you are
playing Russian roulette with a 2nd floor install.

I would replace it with a top brand.
I would also install an alarm to detect leakage
or overflow.
And set the heater in a pan with discharge to outside
or a drain. (Oh, oh....the freezing discharge thread again!)

Even consider an alarm with a solenoid shut off valve.

I don't think any measure is too extreme in a case like this.

Plan "B": Move the heater.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:12:11 -0400, "Jack Simmons"
wrote:

I just wanted to get a feel for how long a water heater should last without
problems. Mine is on the second floor of my house sort of in an attic crawl
space. It has been there for 10 years since I bought the house (installed
new at that time) with no problems. I just dont want to come home one day to
a flood. Am thinking about replacing it just to be safe. I welcome any
opinions.
J. Simmons

Tanks last longer with soft water and proper maintenance. On average
expect them to last 15 years, although 25 years is not unusual. Cheap
insurance: Place a water tank appliance pan underneath and connect a
drain hose/pipe to the outside. When/if it leaks might save yourself
a mess. Ice maker lines and laundry hoses can cause unexpected flood
damage too.
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

wrote:

I just wanted to get a feel for how long a water heater should last
without problems. Mine is on the second floor of my house sort of in
an attic crawl space. It has been there for 10 years since I bought
the house (installed new at that time) with no problems. I just dont
want to come home one day to a flood. Am thinking about replacing it
just to be safe. I welcome any opinions.
J. Simmons

Tanks last longer with soft water and proper maintenance. On average
expect them to last 15 years, although 25 years is not unusual. Cheap
insurance: Place a water tank appliance pan underneath and connect a
drain hose/pipe to the outside. When/if it leaks might save yourself
a mess. Ice maker lines and laundry hoses can cause unexpected flood
damage too.

My last water heater lasted 9 years before rusting out and starting to leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 9:53?pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 18:12:11 -0400, Jack Simmons wrote:
I just wanted to get a feel for how long a water heater should last without
problems. Mine is on the second floor of my house sort of in an attic crawl
space. It has been there for 10 years since I bought the house (installed
new at that time) with no problems. I just dont want to come home one day to
a flood. Am thinking about replacing it just to be safe. I welcome any
opinions.
J. Simmons

Going on 18 years here. A lot of the life at least for the outside depends
on the environment it's in. Mine is in my humidity controlled basement
and I wipe it down every few months so at least on the outside it looks
brand new. It doesn't creek or grown or pop while it's heating the water
so I would assume the insides are ok. Plus it seems to still have the same
capacity for hot water as it did in 1990 when I installed it. The make and
model is a Sears Kenmore Power Miser 5, 50 gallon.

outside shell is meainngless, what matters is the tanks inside.power
miser 5 means 5 year warranty.

electric tanks last much longer than gas fired ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Oct 10, 9:30 pm, " wrote:
[...]

electric tanks last much longer than gas fired ones.- Hide quoted text -

As some one else said proper sizing and draing will help 10 to 14
possible after 10 you could be on borrowed time why the hell did
someone put in attic this is the propely the worst spot for it never
mind what I would charge for doing it. Move to basement or cuboard if
you are in slab.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all for the info. and advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
t...
Jack Simmons wrote:
[...]

Yep, it's a shame that some people can't understand *why* you don't expose
them to freezing temperatures. :-)