Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim Speedy Jim is offline

Default Gas water heater

Jack Simmons wrote:
I just wanted to get a feel for how long a water heater should last without
problems. Mine is on the second floor of my house sort of in an attic crawl
space. It has been there for 10 years since I bought the house (installed
new at that time) with no problems. I just dont want to come home one day to
a flood. Am thinking about replacing it just to be safe. I welcome any
opinions.
J. Simmons

The average life of a gas water heater is 10 years.
Yes, some last longer. But after 10 years you are
playing Russian roulette with a 2nd floor install.

I would replace it with a top brand.
I would also install an alarm to detect leakage
or overflow.
And set the heater in a pan with discharge to outside
or a drain. (Oh, oh....the freezing discharge thread again!)

Even consider an alarm with a solenoid shut off valve.

I don't think any measure is too extreme in a case like this.

Plan "B": Move the heater.

Jim