Posted to alt.home.repair
** Frank ** **    Frank    ** is offline

Default battery powered drills; auto 12v yet?

"werwer" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 10, 2:06 pm, AZ Nomad wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 09:50:37 -0700, werwer wrote:
A year or two ago I wound up calling manufacturers asking if they had
any battery powered drills that could use a Pb 12v car battery. They
all said no
saying the low impedance would burn out the motors. I was surprised
given the current capability of NiCd. Now the Li are on the scene.
Anyone heard of a drill capable of using the car battery?
Anyone used a car battery with a drill?

Take a 300W inverter and connect it to your car's electrical system.
Take an AC drill. Plug it into the inverter.

Want battery unit.

Any 12V car battery could run any 12V dc drill or a 6V motorcycle battery
could run a any 6V dc drill. If you're handy, all you need is a disconnect,
2 wires and a fuse to protect you and the drill.

New battery technology is now pretty good, something like 2,000 charge
cycles vs. 500 cycles, 3x the run time and 1/2 the weight of a NiCd - that's
the hype anyway. Why bother with a hefty lead acid that you shouldn't use it
indoors without ventilation?