Posted to alt.home.repair
Steven Andrade Steven Andrade is offline

Default Gas or heat pump in Midwest?

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:07:37 -0500, "Pete C." wrote:
I plan to install a ground source heat pump when I replace my HVAC
eventually. One thing to keep in mind is that there are several ways to
install the ground loop and some installers are still pushing the
somewhat obsolete and much more expensive drilled vertical loop
installation or long loop horizontal installations. The newer trenched
vertical coil type installation is much cheaper to install and has been
proven to be equally efficient as the older methods. The trenched
vertical coil method cuts a narrow trench to a suitable depth and then
installs the loop piping like a flattened stretched out slinky.

I've read about such systems but have never seen one installed. Is it a major
task involved to bury the loop? How long, large, and deep is the trench?