Posted to alt.home.repair
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Gas or heat pump in Midwest?

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:41:19 -0400, Steven Andrade
wrote:

Just bought a house that's all electric and has a heat pump for heating.
Is that a good choice for the Midwest region? We're installing a gas line for a
fireplace and I wonder if I shouldn't replace the heat pump with a gas unit when
it dies. It's 18 years old now so I don't see many more days of life in it.

How about the water heater? Gas or electric?

Depends on local rates. Most areas, it's less expensive to heat using
gas. Electrically heated water is very expensive. Expect gas rate
prices are up 10% this coming winter. On top of that it's expected to
be a colder winter than average. My personal choice is all gas
appliances which I have. My current gas bill is $24.12 (nice!). My
electric bill is $215.17