Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Old Black Tar Floor Adhesive--Safety Question

On Oct 10, 11:17 am, wrote:
I'm living in a coastal area (I mean right on the Atlantic Ocean) in a
ground-floor apartment with a cement floor. Ever since relocating
here from Pennsylvania, my eyes have swollen, sagged, and aged at
least ten years. I thought the problem was moldy furniture, which my
landlady allowed me to get rid of (it's a furnished apartment). But
the problem didn't go away.

We (landlady and I) shampooed and rinsed the indoor/outdoor carpet,
which only made the problem worse. We tore up the rug and padding,
and we did find a little mold.

However, the problem smell is coming from ancient cove cement that now
makes the bedroom smell as if I were living on new asphalt. I have
difficulty believing this application is 50+ years old; it smells like
new cove cement.

Is it deadly?

Why would there be black glue under carpet, maybe its Mold. If the
furniture was molded I bet the spores are everywhere, walls, clothes,
etc, and spraying the whole apt with bleach would be needed. Then the
problem of moisture has to be fixed that caused it to occur or it will
come right back. Get and keep samples, pour bleach on it, if you see a
change in color, its Mold. Call the city health dept.