Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Old Black Tar Floor Adhesive--Safety Question

I'm living in a coastal area (I mean right on the Atlantic Ocean) in a
ground-floor apartment with a cement floor. Ever since relocating
here from Pennsylvania, my eyes have swollen, sagged, and aged at
least ten years. I thought the problem was moldy furniture, which my
landlady allowed me to get rid of (it's a furnished apartment). But
the problem didn't go away.

We (landlady and I) shampooed and rinsed the indoor/outdoor carpet,
which only made the problem worse. We tore up the rug and padding,
and we did find a little mold.

However, the problem smell is coming from ancient cove cement that now
makes the bedroom smell as if I were living on new asphalt. I have
difficulty believing this application is 50+ years old; it smells like
new cove cement.

Is it deadly?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 11:17 am, wrote:
I'm living in a coastal area (I mean right on the Atlantic Ocean) in a
ground-floor apartment with a cement floor. Ever since relocating
here from Pennsylvania, my eyes have swollen, sagged, and aged at
least ten years. I thought the problem was moldy furniture, which my
landlady allowed me to get rid of (it's a furnished apartment). But
the problem didn't go away.

We (landlady and I) shampooed and rinsed the indoor/outdoor carpet,
which only made the problem worse. We tore up the rug and padding,
and we did find a little mold.

However, the problem smell is coming from ancient cove cement that now
makes the bedroom smell as if I were living on new asphalt. I have
difficulty believing this application is 50+ years old; it smells like
new cove cement.

Is it deadly?

Your problem might be mold, use bleach to kill it. Id call city hall
for help, the health department. Moving might be best, what you smell
is likely mold as mold can have a strong smell. If its mold bleach
will turn usualy brown or red. Your lanlord is responsible for a safe
environment that you are not getting and paid for. The city will get
you the quickest remedy. You realy should not stay there untill its
fixed. If you see mold scrape and keep a sample for future testing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 11:17 am, wrote:
I'm living in a coastal area (I mean right on the Atlantic Ocean) in a
ground-floor apartment with a cement floor. Ever since relocating
here from Pennsylvania, my eyes have swollen, sagged, and aged at
least ten years. I thought the problem was moldy furniture, which my
landlady allowed me to get rid of (it's a furnished apartment). But
the problem didn't go away.

We (landlady and I) shampooed and rinsed the indoor/outdoor carpet,
which only made the problem worse. We tore up the rug and padding,
and we did find a little mold.

However, the problem smell is coming from ancient cove cement that now
makes the bedroom smell as if I were living on new asphalt. I have
difficulty believing this application is 50+ years old; it smells like
new cove cement.

Is it deadly?

Why would there be black glue under carpet, maybe its Mold. If the
furniture was molded I bet the spores are everywhere, walls, clothes,
etc, and spraying the whole apt with bleach would be needed. Then the
problem of moisture has to be fixed that caused it to occur or it will
come right back. Get and keep samples, pour bleach on it, if you see a
change in color, its Mold. Call the city health dept.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 12:43 pm, ransley wrote:
On Oct 10, 11:17 am, wrote:

[...]

change in color, its Mold. Call the city health dept.- Hide quoted text -

Probably your bed is full of mold spores it should be junked...Your
lanlord sounds like an ass. To have mold on furniture you must have
very very high humidity and water leaking in. Landlords are required
by law to provide a healthy safe residence, the city would probably
make her move you to a hotel or another apt while it is cleaned, is
the mold deadly, well you say you are sick.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 11:17 am, wrote:

[...]

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Unfortunately, I don't have the
money to move. The mold situation is pretty much under control in
every area of the apartment. It's why 50 year old floor adhesive
should still be giving off such fumes that scares me.

Thanks again for your replies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 11:17 am, wrote:

[...]

Thanks again for your replies.- Hide quoted text -

Its your lanlords responsibility to give you a healthy apt, I dought
what you smell is adhesive, its likely mold. 1 yr old adhesive wont
smell.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 3:07 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Paint over it with a non-permeable paint to seal it in. You should be able
to match the color exactly and a quart ought to be enough to paint to seal
up the cracks.

Thanks (also to Ransley). I don't have access to the Internet 24/7,
so I might not answer or read any further answers until tomorrow, but--
would painting over the cove cement really help? I happen to think
along Ransley's lines; I have a hard time believing that cove
adhesive--*IF* it really is 50 years old--would smell this bad and
have such a bad affect on me.

Heck, as long as I'm on the subject, does anyone know the symptoms of
carbon monoxide poisoning?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 10, 3:07 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:

Paint over it with a non-permeable paint to seal it in. You should be
able
to match the color exactly and a quart ought to be enough to paint to
seal
up the cracks.

Thanks (also to Ransley). I don't have access to the Internet 24/7,
so I might not answer or read any further answers until tomorrow, but--
would painting over the cove cement really help? I happen to think
along Ransley's lines; I have a hard time believing that cove
adhesive--*IF* it really is 50 years old--would smell this bad and
have such a bad affect on me.

Heck, as long as I'm on the subject, does anyone know the symptoms of
carbon monoxide poisoning?

Yes, you go to sleep and you don't wake up,ever.Get a CO detector today if
you suspect a CO problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 10, 6:21 pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
wrote:

Heck, as long as I'm on the subject, does anyone know the symptoms of
carbon monoxide poisoning?

Shortness of breath
Nausea
Headache
Dizziness
Light-headedness

And then you die.

A simple blood-test can detect.

Well, I spent the morning in the E.R. after my doctor said a cherry-
colored face is also possible indication of CO poisoning. The blood
gas tests came back negative.

A contractor/friend called long distance and suggested that, at sea
level, problems with noxious odors are more than likely not caused by
inert 50 year old cove adhesive. He suggested that salt water/sulfer
(why is sulfer so strong by the ocean?)/drought may have brought on
some of the pulmonary problems. He also suggested Radon poisoning
(for which I wasn't tested).

Anyway, even though I don't feel better, I feel better, if that makes
any sense. A CO detector was installed by my landlady; it registered
OK.

If anyone feels like answering this-- Can certain people have
allergies to natural gas heating systems? I went through this
syndrome once before, in an efficiency where the old gas range made
the air smell like rotten eggs (which is what the air here smells
like). The management completely disconnected the gas, at which time
my symptoms stopped.

I wanted to post, 'cause I always read responses, and I'm grateful for
them.