Posted to alt.home.repair
** Frank ** **    Frank    ** is offline

Default battery powered drills; auto 12v yet?

"werwer" wrote in message
oups.com...
A year or two ago I wound up calling manufacturers asking if they had
any battery powered drills that could use a Pb 12v car battery. They
all said no
saying the low impedance would burn out the motors. I was surprised
given the current capability of NiCd. Now the Li are on the scene.
Anyone heard of a drill capable of using the car battery?
Anyone used a car battery with a drill?

Much voltage drop so make the lines short or larger. Further, you need to
fuse the lines way down preventing short circuit (meltdown or explosion) of
a few hundred amps at the drill.

There is a cordless drill out in the market a few years ago that could use
either battery or an external power supply - don't remember who make it but
should be easy for the DIY to do.