Posted to alt.home.repair
Caesar Romano Caesar Romano is offline

Default Gas or heat pump in Midwest?

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:41:19 -0400, Steven Andrade
wrote Re Gas or heat pump in Midwest?:

Just bought a house that's all electric and has a heat pump for heating.
Is that a good choice for the Midwest region? We're installing a gas line for a
fireplace and I wonder if I shouldn't replace the heat pump with a gas unit when
it dies. It's 18 years old now so I don't see many more days of life in it.

A heat pump quickly looses it's efficiency advantage over resistance
heating when the temp falls below 35F. If you live in a "cold"
climate area, unless your electric rate is very low, gas is usually
more cost effective.