Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default how to repair lifted trace pads ?

"James Sweet" wrote in message

"Tom Biasi" wrote in message

"robb" wrote in message
Is it necesary to repair lifted traces/pads ?

its actually a pad at the end of a trace to mount a wire/pin
connection to another board (not a hole)

if one does need to repair then how does one ree-glue or repair
a lifted trace/pad ?

thanks for any help,
robb

I have used super glue (ca).
Be careful when you solder over it, the fumes are nasty.

Tom

Superglue is relatively nontoxic, it's been used to close wounds, but the
fumes sure do sting.

If the pad is badly lifted I often just use a scrap of resistor lead or
wire wrap wire to jumper the component lead to good trace further up.

Agreed. One of the boards that I work regularly on, were previously repaired
by an agent whose only soldering equipment appeared to be a gas poker and
some plumber's solder. Many of his previous 'repairs', when they show up
again here, have lifted tracks and pads that just fall away as soon as you
try to remove the bad component that connects to them. I just use the long
leg on the new resistor or whatever to connect back to the nearest undamaged
point - either tracking that's still in place and can be scraped back and
soldered to, or the next genuine solder point up the track.

If a pad is still in place, just 'flapping free' of the board, it can often
be re-attached just by heating and pressing. The original glue will remelt
and stick it enough to work with. I try to avoid superglue as it fumes badly
when heated and is a killer if you get it in your eyes. Remember that
forensic scientists use its fuming and recondensing properties to highlight
otherwise invisible fingerprints ...

Arfa