Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default TV turns on and off when you walk in front of it

"G" wrote in message
In article , Meat Plow
wrote:
On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 07:17:20 -0700, rufovillosum wrote:

My 6-year old Sony WEGA, 27" tube TV, model KV-27FS13 just started
turning on and off when you walk in front of it at 0-1 ft. It's
repeatable -- walk past once it turns on, walk past again it turns
off. (It happens with anybody, not just me.)

I called Sony, and other than brightening their day with an oddball
problem, had no luck. They did have me remove the batteries from the
remote to rule it out as a problem (no effect).

Any suggestions as to what's going on, why it suddenly developed, and
what, if anything, I should do about it (other than not walking in
front of it UNLESS I want it to turn on or off

Well your choices are A.Don't walk in front of it. B. If you don't have
any experience working on a tv, take it to be serviced. I think it has a
loose connection inside that you vibrate when you walk past.

I have one that sometimes you need to bang on it to make it work.
I never tried jumping up and down.

greg

Quit banging on it and have the dry joint(s) resoldered before it becomes a
much larger problem. It's a simple fix right now.