Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default plug-in "permanent" house wiring

" wrote:

On Oct 8, 4:11 pm, "Pete C." wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

wrote:
Greetings,

I have two computers, one in the basement and one on the third floor,
which I would like to run off the same plug-in UPS (expensive, so I
don't want to purchase another one). There is already conduit going
up to the third floor. What do I need to properly (to-code) install a
UPS protected outlet on the third floor which shares the plug-in UPS
in the basement? Is there a code-compliant solution? Are you allowed
to plug a cord into a UPS which goes into a junction box, is spliced
to THHN, and then into the house wiring?

Thank you for your time,
William

PS: I am not asking for instructions on how to install an outlet. The
outlet that the UPS plugs into in the basement is already GFI
protected. There are enough spare cubic inches in the box to support
an additional device and wiring.

It will cost more to run another wire from the basement to the stars than
the $75 for a UPS.

I'm pretty sure copper prices aren't that high yet, but yes, while a
central UPS is nice, with today's UPS prices distributed UPSes are more
practical.

A new UPS for the third floor would cost $300-400,

Exactly what UPS are you looking at? You certainly don't need a UPS
anywhere near that cost to run a single computer, particularly these
days with LCD monitors. You're not trying to UPS a laser printer are
you???

consume additional
electricity,

Unless it's a hybrid UPS with ferroresonant line conditioner, it's
standby / float charging power consumption is pretty negligible.

and take up space.

The UPS to handle one computer will be about the size of a shoe box, and
shouldn't be any issue to position along with the computer itself.

Then I would have to replace the
batteries in both of them every few years at an increased cost instead
of just the one.

Not likely. My big UPS with my server rack in my garage is now about 10
years old, on it's original set of batteries and is showing no sign of
any problems. The server rack loads it to about 15% capacity and just a
couple weeks ago there was a power failure where it ran some 60 minutes
on battery until I switched to generator power when the UPS reported 20
minutes of battery remaining.

The upstairs UPS, replacement batteries, and power
consumption (including cooling power) would probably come to $750 or
more over its lifetime.

Wildly exaggerated estimate, unless you're counting it's lifetime as 30
years and even then it's probably a high estimate.

If a 42U rack costs $1000 delivered then just
the space in the rack the new UPS would take up could be considered to
cost $100.

What planet are you on buying new racks delivered? Racks are a dime a
dozen used, often free and there is no reason to buy new unless you are
building a showcase data center at which point you still need redundant
UPSes, redundant generators, redundant air conditioning, access floors,
etc.

The dual-UPS solution is NOT the most economical solution.

It is by far, once you open your eyes to the real world and not some
fantasy idea of a shiny enterprise data center.

Spend the $100 of a decent UPS at Fry's, Costco, etc., plug it in
upstairs and get on with your life.

(The data centers I deal with have UPSes and generators rated in MW
total capacity, and $250K/month electric bills)