Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] deans@wdeans.com is offline

Default plug-in "permanent" house wiring

On Oct 8, 2:49 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On 8 Oct, 14:12, " wrote:

On Oct 8, 1:59 pm, "RBM" rbm2(remove wrote:

Assuming you only want the UPS to attach to one dedicated outlet on the
third floor. You could install a junction box on the existing conduit with
a three wire cord set to plug into the UPS, then attach those wires to three
conductors going through the existing conduit to the third floor, then from
another junction box up there, run those conductors to the PC outlet using
whatever wiring method is acceptable in your jurisdiction. This is all
contingent on having spare room in the conduit

" wrote in message

ups.com...

Greetings,

I have two computers, one in the basement and one on the third floor,
which I would like to run off the same plug-in UPS (expensive, so I
don't want to purchase another one). There is already conduit going
up to the third floor. What do I need to properly (to-code) install a
UPS protected outlet on the third floor which shares the plug-in UPS
in the basement? Is there a code-compliant solution? Are you allowed
to plug a cord into a UPS which goes into a junction box, is spliced
to THHN, and then into the house wiring?

Thank you for your time,
William

PS: I am not asking for instructions on how to install an outlet. The
outlet that the UPS plugs into in the basement is already GFI
protected. There are enough spare cubic inches in the box to support
an additional device and wiring.

Greetings,

Thank you but there are other issues?:
When someone turns off the main breaker there will still be a live
outlet in the attic. Aren't there additional rules about such things?

Does the three wire cord set have to have special properties?
a) Wire must be no more than X feet long?
b) Wire must be of special type?

When I am done using the setup (years from now) can I simply plug the
cord set into a basement receptacle?

Thanks again,
William- Hide quoted text -

In your first post you said "third floor". In your second you said
"attic".

Since you seem to be concerned about safety, I'm curious about your
use of the attic. Will your proposed use meet codes as far as egress,
other electrical wiring, etc? While I commend you for tying to hook up
the UPS in a complaint manner, will it be the only code compliant item
in the space?

The third floor is a converted attic. There is a full staircase,
drywall, tile floor, recessed lights, two dormers, 7' ceiling (with
sloped side walls) etc.