Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default If you only had one...

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 08:52:40 -0700, Max63 wrote:

If you only had one tool for spindle work, and just one for bowls,
what would you choose?
sort of the "stuck on an island" question.
State type, size and make

Well, I'm sorta torn on the spindle thing... either an Oland tool or an
oval
skew...

For bowls, I have to go with the master... Several folks have asked Bill
Grumbine this question and his answer is always a bowl gouge with swept
back
wings..

This bunch will do it all, but will be slower hollowing bowls, because you
can't plunge and rotate like a cylindrical gouge. Unsurpassed in control
and utility in convex operation. If only one, the 1/2".

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...30,43164,43175

Used this pattern until I got my first "bowl" gouge in the 70's.