Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Rigid band saw experiences?

On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 22:10:23 -0500, mapdude wrote:

I was considering getting a Rigid bandsaw until I read some of the
reviews on the HD web site. I like the looks of the saw, like the price
and I already have a table saw and jointer, which I am very pleased
with. Is this saw really as bad as some have suggested?

I've had the BS1400 for a few years.. motivation to choose Ridgid was typical,
my wife got my a HD credit card and it was the only brand that they had a 14" BS
in..

Set up was pretty easy and maybe I got their one good machine, but I had no
issues with tracking, wobble, etc..
I use my miter fence from the table saw to cut pen blanks and other small stuff
and am surprised how straight and square it cuts... I really didn't buy the saw
for precision cuts..

It's been very good to me, though I do abuse it a bit... when cutting bowl
blanks round and things like that, I have to keep reminding myself that it's
only 3/4 hp and to SLOW DOWN.. not a bad thing, IMO..

Changes I've made:
Cool blocks... great investment, IMHO.. been using the same ones for maybe 2
years and they're still "cool"...

riser kit... least expensive was from Grizzly... for the money saved, I could
care less if the block is green..
Not only gives you more cutting clearance, but in my case more visibility and
light... also, you can play with table tops and jigs without worrying about
cutting clearance..
(I learned here in the rec that Griz, Ridgid and others are the same saw)

Link belt... made it MUCH quieter and allows more fine tuning of belt tension...

Dust collection:
Took out the little mickey mouse port and taped the opening over...
Cut a 4" hole in the lower door and put a DC on it.. MUCH BETTER!
I had a Y on it for a while with a 2nd hose under the table near the blade
guard, but the results weren't worth the hassle, IMHO..

I have gotten in the habit of taking the belt guard off every few months and
using the DC to suck the shavings out of that area...
Sawdust tends to accumulate between the top of the stand and the belts...
Probably not something that will hurt anything, but I have this image in my head
of the BS bursting into flames...
Future plans for a hinged door or something to make this task easier..
Thinking about that, I don't think it's putting much crap there since I did the
4" port in the door...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing