Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wood Stove Basics

"SteveB" wrote in message

I did notice when surfing their site and others that there are catalytic
and non-catalytic models. What's the ups and downs of those?

Catalytic are required in some areas to reduce pollution. I have no
experience with them though. It shoudl also reduce chimney cleanign so that
is a plus.

Does yours have the external intake for combustion air, or does it use
room air? Is there a big difference in the two? I know for fireplaces,
they are about worthless as a heater because you have to let in so much
outside air for good combustion. Or at least, that was my experience.

Mine is 26 years old and they did not have external air inlets back then but
I imagine it would be a bit more efficient.

We are familiar with wood stoves and wood. We do live in an area where
wood is plentiful and a permit for five cords is $20. No one has ever
checked us, but we still buy the permits anyway. They bulldoze it into
large piles, so getting a trailer load is not too hard. We have a 28 ton
log splitter.

Then you already know anything I'd tell you. Good price for the wood. It is
getting tougher to find around here.