Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Star drill?

On Oct 6, 8:28 pm, willshak wrote:
on 10/6/2007 10:55 PM Steve Barker LT said the following:

You need to rent or purchase a good hammer drill. You also may be
encountering rebar.

No rebar. I'm drilling 3/4" diameter holes 2" deep in a poured concrete
sidewalk around my pool. The holes are to attach a mesh winter cover on
my inground pool. The holes are to hold the cover's 40 spring loaded
straps. Previously, I had been using the solid winter cover with water
bags. I just got tired of cleaning the water and debris that accumulated
on top of the cover when I went to open the pool in summer. I looked
enviously at my neighbor's mesh cover all winter and it was clean except
for a couple of twigs laying on top. Then I looked at mine and there was
a foot of dirty, leafy water after the rain and melting snow had pushed
the cover deeper into the clean pool water.

When I first start the drill, I can see the crushed concrete powder
coming out and forming a ridge around the hole. All of a sudden the
powder stops building and I can hear the drill bit kinda bouncing over
something. The bit never stops turning, it just stops cutting.
I wash out the hole and look in. The aggregate filler in this concrete
is small roundish pebbles, about the size of a green pea up to a lima
bean size with colors of yellow, orange, grey, or whitish. I may see
parts of one, or two, or maybe three pebbles intruding in the hole, the
tops of which look sanded from the drill rather than cut. At this time I
take the small sledge and a 12" long steel tapered flat nosed punch with
a 1/4" wide tip and try to crack the pebbles into smaller pieces that
the drill bit can handle. I think that the 3/4" hand tool star drill can
do a better job of cracking the pebbles with fewer blows since the star
drill will completely fill the hole and may crack two or more pebbles
with one blow.

"willshak" wrote in message

X-posted to other relevant group.

Before there were concrete drill bits, or electric drills for that matter,
small round holes in concrete or rock were made by a round chisel type
tool that was pounded into the stone with a small sledge hammer while
turning the tool. It might have been 8" or 10" long. The face of this
chisel had a star-like pattern, only with 4 points, like a plus sign " +
". I believe it was called a star drill.
A Google search brings up a lot of sports drills (training regimen).
Anyone know if they still make them, or if so, where to get one on-line?
I'm trying to drill some 40 - 3/4" holes in concrete and my 1/2" corded
electric drill with a concrete bit stalls on the stone aggregate in the
concrete requiring me to stop and try to crack the aggregate with a large
punch. I figured a star drill would work better.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

For a couple of holes, your method is workable. For 40 holes, bite
the bullet and rent a real rotary hammer. The cost is miniscule
comapared to the time, effort and frustration you save. My nearest
rental is 20 miles away and I have made the trip to do as few as 4
holes. Believe me, it is worth it.

Harry K