Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Star drill?

On Oct 7, 10:14 am, willshak wrote:
on 10/7/2007 8:56 AM The Other Funk said the following:

Finding the keyboard operational
willshak entered:

X-posted to other relevant group.

Before there were concrete drill bits, or electric drills for that
matter, small round holes in concrete or rock were made by a round
chisel type tool that was pounded into the stone with a small sledge
hammer while turning the tool. It might have been 8" or 10" long. The
face of this chisel had a star-like pattern, only with 4 points, like
a plus sign " + ". I believe it was called a star drill.
A Google search brings up a lot of sports drills (training regimen).
Anyone know if they still make them, or if so, where to get one
on-line? I'm trying to drill some 40 - 3/4" holes in concrete and my
1/2" corded electric drill with a concrete bit stalls on the stone
aggregate in the concrete requiring me to stop and try to crack the
aggregate with a large punch. I figured a star drill would work
better.

After reading some of the responses I think there may be a
misunderstanding. Are you saying that you want to use your 1/2"
electric until you hit a piece of aggregate and then use the star
drill and sledge to break that up? Then returning to the drill.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!

I don't think anybody assumed otherwise or the pointed responses would
have been more vociferous.
You'll be making a lot of work for yourself and wasting time for no
apparent reason. There are better exercises than kneeling over a hole
and hitting a chisel with a lump hammer.

I'm curious, Bill - what is the reason that you're ignoring entirely
unanimous advice from a group of people that probably wouldn't agree
on which way was up? Were you starting with the 3/4" bit or starting
with a smaller bit and working your way up in two or three steps?