Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
willshak willshak is offline

Default Star drill?

on 10/7/2007 8:56 AM The Other Funk said the following:
Finding the keyboard operational
willshak entered:

X-posted to other relevant group.

Before there were concrete drill bits, or electric drills for that
matter, small round holes in concrete or rock were made by a round
chisel type tool that was pounded into the stone with a small sledge
hammer while turning the tool. It might have been 8" or 10" long. The
face of this chisel had a star-like pattern, only with 4 points, like
a plus sign " + ". I believe it was called a star drill.
A Google search brings up a lot of sports drills (training regimen).
Anyone know if they still make them, or if so, where to get one
on-line? I'm trying to drill some 40 - 3/4" holes in concrete and my
1/2" corded electric drill with a concrete bit stalls on the stone
aggregate in the concrete requiring me to stop and try to crack the
aggregate with a large punch. I figured a star drill would work
better.

After reading some of the responses I think there may be a
misunderstanding. Are you saying that you want to use your 1/2"
electric until you hit a piece of aggregate and then use the star
drill and sledge to break that up? Then returning to the drill.

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!
And thanks to all the others who participated. You'll get a Board Game
version of our show on the way out of the studio.

And as an aside, I checked at Lowes last night, and in the tool
department, there was a Lowes guy. Maybe a little younger than me,
probably in his 60s. I asked him if he was the tool guy. He said "Kinda,
I just started in this department". I asked him if he knew what a Star
Drill was, he looked puzzled and said, "All our drill bits are over
here" pointed to a wall display. I said "it isn't a drill per se, but
more of a concrete chisel:. He then walked me to the wall display with
all the chisels.and said, "Here's all the chisels. If it isn't in this
area, we don't have it" and walked away. They didn't have it.

If that's the plan then I believe that Home Depot has star drill's or
any decent sized hardware store should have one. If you have a stone
and tile dealer near by I'ld give them a call.
Of course renting or buying a hammer drill is another answer.
Good luck.
Bob

Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com